cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1

JamesM
Grafter

Windows 8.1

Started trying windows 8.1 yesterday, it is a little easier to navigate then win 8. Still not as straight forward as win 7 though. Downloaded MSI afterburner, and to find it I have to go to my computer, c drive, x86 programmes, msi afterburner, then click the .exe. You can get your normal home screen as with win 7, but to find half the programmes you have installed, you have to go to the apps page, then click a down arrow, then another apps page appears, then you have to search for the program. MSI afterburned doesn't appear on the apps page, neither does Gpuz, Cpuz or real temp. So in order for me to have these running, I have to do the c drive, x86 programmes thing every time I want to run any of these programmes.
The only reason I am trying this is because when I built my computer, my motherboard is newer than win 7, so half the drivers are not on the win 7 install, or SP1, so I have to go hunting the net for them. Windows 8 / 8.1 on the other hand has all my drivers built in. Never understand why they promised win 7 SP 2 and never delivered, especially since not many people like Win 8 / 8.1.
8 REPLIES 8
Roberto0151
Grafter

Re: Windows 8.1

This may not be of much help as I am a bit of a of an IT numbskull, but I found that installing Classic Shell on windows 8 makes it very much easier to use. I came straight from XP and have very few problems now with Win 8.
shalom2010
Grafter

JamesM
Grafter

I might go back to WIndows 8 and check out those shell overlays.
IE 11 seems a lot quicker than IE 9, I guess it is just a matter of getting used to the new interface, as really there hasn't been a major change in aesthetics since Win 3.11 to Win 95.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

cant you just dump links to the desktop once you find the x86 program file as with standard w8 ?
and also is there no longer an option on the apps page of the metro ui to add in tiles for everything in your program files list under customizations ?
I only ask because I found those options when I was setting up w8 just before xmass when I upgraded the other halfs w7 laptop to work with her phone
if not then I guess I wont be upgrading to 8.1 on there for some time to come
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
shalom2010
Grafter

@nanotm Under 'All Apps' on the Metro Start Screen (by right clicking they are available), every Windows application is listed. If you install a new program from the desktop it will automatically appear under 'All Apps'. I think
that is what you was asking?
nanotm
Pro

asking if jamesM was able to make things like gpuz and cpuz appear on it through the customization feature in 8.1
I realise that launching a desktop program(app) through a live tile will first start the desktop and then launch the program
but he was saying the only way to find them was to navigate through the x86 programs folder.
if that is indeed the case (they cant be added to the all app list) then i'll have to not upgrade my wifes w8 lappy (she's not tech savvy enough to use it without a little help)
but if its that he was unaware of the ability to customize the app list then that will alleviate the worry
btw i'm hoping w8 has a xmass price again like last year to promote 8.1 so its more affordable to upgrade all my families machines Smiley
JamesM
Grafter

I have put windows 8 on and I can now see MSI afterburner on the show all apps screen, I still can't see Real Temp though.
nanotm, I am a bit of a neat freak with my computer and the only shortcut I have on my desktop is the recycle bin, so all these apps don't really do it for me, but in Win 8 I have seen I can pin programmes to the task bar, so that will have to do.
Steven M, with WIndows 8.1 you get the main apps page, then instead of right clicking, there is an arrow underneath the apps which then opens up the second apps screen with all your programmes on it, but unfortunately it doesn't show them all, like the little programmes CPUz, GPUz and MSI afterburner. I am sure I will be able to configure it more to my liking after I have installed all my software.
Thanks for the input.
Edit, Sorry nanotm, you are right, I have found the real temp exe and made a short cut to the start apps screen.
nanotm
Pro

at least that means they didn't remove that ability Smiley
and we both found something out that makes the outlook rather more positive for the future with w8.1 Smiley
cookies and warm milk all round  Grin