chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Windows 8.1 questions...

you sound like a classic linux nazi.
sjptd
Grafter

Unless you're installing a corporate version there is no such thing as separate accounts for admins....
  Not true
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Definitely not true, though a consumer default install will tend to set up with a single user account which would be the administrator as well.
Easy enough to add other non-admin accounts of course, but not how it starts off.
Of course the other "catch" is that it will also try to make you use a Microsoft account for logon, again something trivially bypassed but deliberately obscured by Microsoft.
nanotm
Pro

you need to use a Microsoft account on w8.1 for you to be able to get all the updates,  if you don't get all the updates your system is vulnerable

@vfd
Linux is just as riddled with problems but people spend less time exploiting them as there are less returns on their time, for every Linux system there are a million windows systems, its like economics 101, you don't waste your time on the small fry when you have the big markets to go after ....
using separate accounts was a good thing In earlier versions of windows but in the newer versions (7 onwards) is just an unnecessary pain in the backside, half the programs will require elevation to run which means every time you wish to run them you will need to log in as the admin (particularly true for games and editing software) much better to simply run the admin account and utilise UAC at the top level (some people cry about the popups but hey ho) to remain secure but functional without the hassles of trying to operate in the nt4.0 era
also multiple accounts increases the security risk on a single user system,
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: nanotm
you need to use a Microsoft account on w8.1 for you to be able to get all the updates
Totally wrong, please provide a reference to support that assertion.  Crazy
nanotm
Pro

the windows store doesn't work without a Microsoft account....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
sjptd
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
the windows store doesn't work without a Microsoft account....

You don't need the Windows store for updates.  Many of us use Windows 8.1 as a 'pure' desktop (marginally improved Windows 7) and almost never go near the Metro/Modern/Store.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

This is going a bit off-topic.
I just  Lips_are_sealed would quite like separate accounts,
one for normal use and one for installation/updates of applications.
I would be happy to settle for one account - provided it can temporarily gain admin rights.
I doubt there will be any interest in buying stuff from Microsoft, so the password thing isn't needed.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

sjptd
Grafter

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
This is going a bit off-topic.
I just  would quite like separate accounts,
one for normal use and one for installation/updates of applications.
I would be happy to settle for one account - provided it can temporarily gain admin rights.

That is exactly how it works.  You can have an admin account for updates and a user account for regular use.  The admin account will not normally run using the full admin rights, so you need to respond to a prompt when doing actions such as installation.
Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
I doubt there will be any interest in buying stuff from Microsoft, so the password thing isn't needed.

Depending on the sensitivity of things on your computer, you might want passwords for other reasons such as hackers.  If you use local machine accounts for computer login there is no need to password protect them if you don't wish to.  If you use Microsoft accounts for computer login, then I think that Microsoft do require you to have a password.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Thanks

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."