Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 - import pics from SD card

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Windows 8.1 - import pics from SD card

On my Vista laptop.... when I inserted the camera card in the SD slot.... it automatically imported them "using windows"... and re-numbered them, and put them in the current date folder.... and then erased them from the card....
On this new laptop with WIndows. 8.1  I put the card in for the first time..... and it showed that it was installing the driver....... then........nothing.... !
The SD card shows on "my computer" ... and the pics are listed with the camera numbers on them....
I went to Control Panel.... AutoPlay..... and set the settings to "import pictures".... on the Camera memory card bit..... then "saved" it..... put card in.... nothing happens.... went back to control panel... and changed it to "ask me every time".... saved it...  put the card in .... nothing happens... no popup window with "what do you want to do"....
anyone any ideas how I can get it to import and re-number and erase like it used to do  ?
P.S.  I have a WIndows 7 laptop and it will do that.... .....  ....  ....  maybe I need to "copy and paste" something from there ? to get it to work on here  ? ?  ( yeah I know I shouldn`t have to... but... just an idea..........)  Huh
2 REPLIES 2
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Windows 8.1 - import pics from SD card

This works for me using a Panasonic Camera SD Card in my HP laptop upgraded to Windows 10 so I can’t understand why it does not work with your settings.
All I did was the following;
Click Start,
Click Settings,
Click Devices,
Click Autoplay,
Check it’s switched on,
Under Memory Card click the drop down menu and select the line you require, I tried with both Import Photos and Videos and View Pictures and both worked.
You can also use the Default Apps settings to select which program you would like to open the pictures,
I have the Windows Live 2012 stuff installed (I like the mail program), and it opens Photo Gallery to display the pictures if I wish.
Photo Gallery does display the photos in date order but it does not erase them from your card (I stand corrected it will do that it's hidden in the settings menu).
Regards, P.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Windows 8.1 - import pics from SD card

Yeah... did that.... settings...but as I said.... when I plug in the memory card... I don`t get the usual window popup that asks what you want to do with it....
am pratting about with a WIn7 Pro install and 203 updates just finished... 107 ok.... 95 failed and 1 Not Required.... started at 0930.... now 1530... and restarting to complete the update.. so that is the priority at the moment... will come back here when I mess with the pics again.... 
Thanks for reply...  Wink