cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 (and Eudora?)

kdiment
Rising Star

Windows 8.1 (and Eudora?)

I am running Windows 8 on an HP laptop and keep being nagged to upgrade to Windows 8.1. A while ago I took a deep breath, crossed my fingers, and started the upgrade. The machine churned away for what seemed a very long time, told me the upgrade could not be done, then churned away for another long time while, much to my relief, downgrading me back to Windows 8.
Anyone else had this happen? I have a suspicion that it just might be my use of Eudora as an email client that caused the upgrade process to fail.I know it is an out-of-date program that has not been updated for years, but it works very well, does everything I want of it, and I like it. Maybe I should switch to Thunderbird, import all my settings and email folders from Eudora, uninstall Eudora, and try the upgrade again, but that seems a lot of work for something that might not cure the problem anyway.
Maybe I need to update some drivers? If so, does anyone have any idea which I should look at?
Any clues to why the upgrade to Windows 8.1 failed would be gratefully received.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Windows 8.1 (and Eudora?)

Eudora, there's a name from the past. I remember using that many, many moons ago and yes it was a great program. But I suspect you really need to be lunching on some lead and bite the bullet and upgrade to Thunderbird. Don't know as to whether it will solve the upgrade issue but upgrading would be a good place to start regardless.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Was a LONG LONG time ago I last even saw Eudora.
[url=http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_from_Eudora_%28Thunderbird%29[<<THIS>>[/url] maybe of use
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: kdiment
Any clues to why the upgrade to Windows 8.1 failed would be gratefully received.

I've seen this happen because during the update process the installer downloads and installs new driver where possible.  If one of those drivers actually doesn't work on your computer then the whole update fails.  If you turn off your router during the update the Installer sill skip downloading new drivers.  This then happens automatically as soon as the updated computer sees the internet again and you can identify any problems and deal with them.
kdiment
Rising Star

Thanks for that explanation and suggestion. I will certainly give that a try.
hopkiathome

I still use Eudora believe it or not and it has worked fine for months on my 8.0 / 8.1 laptop.