cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7

deekay
Grafter

Windows 7

Sorry, but I am completely confused with Windows 7 End of Life, and would really appreciate it if someone would clarify things for me.

For many years I used Windows, ending with Windows 7. Then about three years ago, I changed to Linux. I now have the urge to return to Windows 7!

What I would like, please, is a clear explanation as to when W 7 ends its life and what happens then, when using it on the internet.

Some articles I have read seem to say that it comes to a complete finish in less than two years and after that you may as well throw it away. Others say that only updates will be finished, and I can use the 'not completely up-to-date' version and it will be safe from viruses (using the usual external programs).

To make things even more complicated, I have read of folks buying a new computer and replacing W 10 with W 7. With less than two years to go?Huh

I know nothing about Windows 10. I have never even seen it, let alone tried it out. There is no computer shop in our town. The nearest takes about an hour and a half on two buses to get to.

So, my question boils down to if it is practical, time-wise, to get Windows 7 going, or if I would be wasting my time. I have the recovery disks.

Many thanks for explanations and advice.

Keith

27 REPLIES 27
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Windows 7

I think it means you can still use it, but Microsoft doesn't support it anymore.
So no Windows updates etc. and the worst case if get you viruses, maleware, randsomware, they won't issue a patch. Or anything else that might break.

So you can go back to it, but with that risk.

A friend of mine said Windows 10 is good.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Basically you will still receive security updates until Jan. 14, 2020 https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet so you will be fully covered until then and even after that with a decent antivirus program and being careful the risk won't be too high

I would however go for regular data and operating system backups

My main machine is Win 7 but I am presently using a Win 10 laptop and it isn't too bad now I have got rid of most of the rubbish

Mav
Fixes: 514

@Alex wrote:

A friend of mine said Windows 10 is good.

I downgraded my laptop from W7 to W10Wink

Just got to transfer/backup about 100GB of files then I will upgrade back to W7. I just could not get on with W10 - at all.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

SGTE
Dabbler

I have been a Windows user since 3.1!  However I did like W7 but when the upgrade to W10 came along I took it and have''t looked back since the. I recommend it.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I started win10 prior to release , as a insider Thumbs_Up and apart from the odd hick up with one program i have been happy Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Exactly the same thing will happen to Windows 7 at end-of-life as has happened to Windows XP and now Windows Vista.  Microsoft will not release any new updates - except sometimes they do under exceptional circumstances.

Although, in principle, the offer of a free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 ended almost a year ago, if you download the Windows 10 upgrade software and run it from Windows 7 it will activate at the end of the process - so it still works for free. 

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I remember the transition from Office 2003 to 2007 where I used to work.

Many people hated the new "ribbon" UI (me too to be fair). The company called a training company in for a day session on how it works. There will still people who were reluctant to change even after that.

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Up until last week, my desktop PC and my laptop both used Win 7.

As part of my job, I give training, and have been exposed to Win 10 in the lab environment.

Last week, I had to buy a new laptop, which came with Windows 10. I decided that, if only because it is current, and I'll end up using Win 10 more elsewhere, I would get to grips with Win 10.

OK, so it has it's quirks, but a quick google has helped me fix / disable them (eg window scaling!)... and yes, the "start" button is very different (so I have a few more bits in folders on the desktop / in the taskbar), but I'm quickly getting used to it.

Moving to a new version of anything is always hard (and harder as you get older), whether it be a car, a phone, or a PC. But sometimes you just have to "bite the bullet" 🙂

deekay
Grafter

Thank you all for the excellent replies to my problem. I very much appreciate them.

Egged on by those who like Windows 10, this is what I have decided to do.

First of all I will replace Linux with Windows 7. OldJim says that all will be well until 2020. After that just 'play safe'. Not his exact words! When I have got Windows 7 working well, I'll upgrade it (free), as ReedRichards said, to Windows 10.

Then I will try out Windows 10 and get to know it (after a fashion!).

If I don't like it, I can always revert to Windows 7.

I had no idea there was still a free upgrade, which shows how out of touch I am.

Thank you all again for your help.

Keith

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

If you install Windows 7 on a modern processor you may end up with this Crazy3

Windows Update on a Ryzen processorWindows Update on a Ryzen processor

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

But it's clear from your first post that you don't have what @Browni calls a 'modern processor'.

deekay
Grafter

@ ReedRichards

My Computer, an HP desktop, is 8 years old! So it's been a few years since its processor could be called 'modern'

All of its 'innards' are original. But it's still "chugging along".

Thanks for the clarification. I'll upgrade during the next week or so.

@Browni

Thank you for your message.

There's nothing 'modern' with my old machine, so I should be OK with the upgrade. Thanks for the warning.

Keith

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@ReedRichards the OP didn't state what hardware they have but they did mention people buying new kit which presumably may contain a 'modern processor' Grin
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@deekay wrote:

...So, my question boils down to if it is practical, time-wise, to get Windows 7 going, or if I would be wasting my time. I have the recovery disks.

As you wish @Browni. but the OP only mentioned other people buying new kit, as far as I can see.   The OP also mentioned recovery disks; you cannot recover what you never had.  However I do feel it is rotten of Microsoft to block a supported OS on modern hardware.