cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 - won't let me do anything with MY files.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Windows 7 - won't let me do anything with MY files.

Gang,
Help me out here. I'm trying to move some files around on my external hard drive. It's plugged into the router so that it's shared over the network.
Everytime i try to move things around, windows 7 proudly gives me this:

I go into security, try to take ownership... no says windows.. you ain't doing that either because the file is owned .. by that long user full of numbers.
If I boot my netbook (WinXP), I can move anything anywhere.
So WTF is windows 7 getting snotty about? - They are my files and I want to damn well move them. The user shown in the image does not exist on this machine nor the router and frankly I'm getting a bit miffed.
To repeat, I can't take ownership, change permissions for 'Everyone' or do anything that would allow me to move, copy, paste or delete certain files in certain directories. This machine was cleanly installed recently too (and yes the last OS was doing the same ****ing thing).
Why won't Win7 let me move my files but my netbook will?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Windows 7 - won't let me do anything with MY files.

you could try.. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vist...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
are they in the root of the C: drive

Quote from: 7up
Help me out here. I'm trying to move some files around on my external hard drive. It's plugged into the router so that it's shared over the network.

Quote from: dvorak
you could try.. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vist...

Already have and the command prompt that comes up proudly states "Permission denied..." before vanishing half a second later  Roll_eyes
Oldjim
Resting Legend

edited my post - two links which may help
7up
Community Veteran

@OJ already found those on google lol
This is what the Take ownership registry hack brings up in the prompt (excuse the opacity, had to try the print key numerous times just to catch it):
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In which case I suggest plugging it directly into the PC and see what happens then.
I suspect that you need to set up sharing with full permissions
7up
Community Veteran

I do have sharing with full permissions - thats just it! Some folders are apparently owned by the user in the image and marked read only. I unmark them as read only, apply and close, go back to properties and the entire lot is read only again.
Can't change ownership and can't change permissions.
I've tried all the usual windows basics relating to permissions and sharing etc and it's not working - hence posting here.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Looks like it's set by and admin on another machine perhaps? https://support.microsoft.com/kb/243330
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
7up
Community Veteran

The folders were created on another machine yes - avalon.
The netbook is outpost yet that can access all folders and do any operation at will.
Whats with Win7?
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
In which case I suggest plugging it directly into the PC and see what happens then.

Everything returns to normal - I can move, rename etc.
So basically because the drive is plugged into my router to be shared on the network, windows 7 won't allow me to control my own ****ing files. WinXP doesn't give a damn and will follow orders.
Screwed up.
Down with mickeysoft! I don't want their friggin permission to move my own files around. How bl**dy dare they insist on locking my files up?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I don't think what you are seeing is normal behaviour but abnormal behaviour does sometimes happen when permissions get screwed-up.  If I were you, I would empty the drive, reformat it and try again.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: 7up
windows 7 won't allow me to control my own ****ing files. WinXP doesn't give a damn and will follow orders.
Or to put it another way, XP security is ludicrously lax and W7 is probably doing what it's supposed to do.
The security inside W7 is actually pretty good regarding access permissions. Not saying that something hasn't gone wrong here, but it can and will recognise the difference between a drive directly connected to (and managed by) its own system as opposed to one on a network device managed by that device.
The problem is probably mainly down to the limitations of the unit you're plugging it into on the network and/or not having prepared the drive for such shared use.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Have you tried changing the ownership and permissions on all the files while you do have access to them (when the drive was directly connected to the Win7 PC)?