cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 - searching for files

bubbalicious
Grafter

Windows 7 - searching for files

Could someone please lend me their knowledge of Win 7 and it's search facility.
Having come over to Windows 7 (home premium) after using Vista, I presumed the same options for searching for files etc would be similar.  But either I am missing something or it seems to only have a very basic search facility, and no way of doing advanced searches as in the previous versions of windows. I've read the 'help' on searching in windows explorer but there is nothing there to tell me how to do advanced searches. I hope this makes sense.
If I wanted to search for some photos that were taken bewteen march & may 2009, stored on my HDD,  win vista let you input 'between dates' or even search for a photo taken on a specific date, it was really helpful and simple. However with Win 7, all have managed to do is let it search my Hdd for all photos and then using the 'detailed view' choice tell it to display by date taken  - and when I have hundreds of photos saved on the HDD it's a bit of a chore and time consuming.
If win 7 doesn't have this option is there any software etc that i could use.
Thanks again peeps, help as always invaluable & much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Windows 7 - searching for files

Search Help and Support for "Advanced tips for searching" and follow the link "Advanced tips for searching in Windows".  Then you'll need to visit this website to look up the syntax of specifying a date range:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/technicalresources/advquery.mspx
So basically, advanced searches are still possible but you have to learn a whole new way of doing them!!!
If I were you I would search for all photos, display then as a list, order them by date and then select the ones you want.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It is indeed very different, and I for one don't like it.  Angry
bubbalicious
Grafter

Cheers peeps, I have just had a look at the link kindly provided and crikey it is different!!! Huh
I've printed all the 'syntax's' (no chance I'll remember them all) and at least I know if I need to I can, but I think I'll be searching in the 'all photos' way as suggested.
I thought windows 7 was supposed to be so much more user friendly, but on this point I agree I prefer the Vista version.
Thanks again guys, what would I do without the forum and all it's generous members. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy