Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 reinstall

FIXED
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Windows 7 reinstall

I have a old laptop which is full of junk and is rarely used so I was thinking of reinstalling windows 7 on it, which came pre installed but what I want to do is wipe the whole drive of everything and then do the reinstall.

I notice on ebay there are a number of adverts for windows 7 professional on disk, these seem to have been taken from computers with some damaged component so what they are offering is a disk with windows 7 professional, activation key and some damaged computer component which they claim makes it legal to sell the disk at this price. ie: around £10.

So a few questions, Does this sound genuine ? Anyone ever used a disk like this bought from ebay ? Are there any specific problems in using this method of installation as say compared to the original windows 7 discs which cost many times more than this ?

Would it be possible to go online and get any updates following the reinstall ? once installed what's the next step to install antivirus software or do a update.

Any additional comments on the above would be welcome

We are born into history and history is born into us.
22 REPLIES 22
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Windows 7 reinstall

can you not download a copy from MS , as you should have original Key sticker  stuck to laptop underneath

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/home

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Some help if you need to know which version you require https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/lost-windows-7-install-disc-create-a-new-one-from-scratch/
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@rongtw wrote:

can you not download a copy from MS , as you should have original Key sticker  stuck to laptop underneath

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/home

The laptop has not been used for some time, lots of messages on it about updating anti software and firewalls messages about apps need updating and all the usual stuff.

Windows came preloaded on the laptop and there is indeed a key on the laptop for home premium but never having been down the route of reinstalling that way I would just feel more confident in having a physical disk, I also assume but could be wrong an install from disk would be quicker rather than something done over the internet hence the reason I would not be interested in the many, ' keys' for sale that appear on ebay.

tbh it's just something I am playing about with as I do have a dual booting desktop windows 7 & Linux but never go on line with windows.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You don't install over the net. you download an iso file and burn it to a dvd or a usb stick.
The usb is faster if your pc can boot from usb.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Fix

@dvorak

Yes, thanks for the link.

Will go down that route as I have nothing to lose by doing so, any problems I can always revert to plan b and risk buying a disk

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Having looked at the link that @dvorak posted, I followed those instructions to find which version of Win7 I am using. Now, if I scroll down to near thew bottom, it gives me a code and says Windows is activated...but...this code is totally different from the code on the sticker under my laptop. Surely this only causes confusion as it's a different key number, so, which do I use?. The reason for asking is that like @gleneagles, I too am thinking of a clean install if only to freshen up the registry, (this laptop hasn't had anything done to it except for a defrag now and again).

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

You're not confusing an activation key with the license number are you? Try installing one of the free keyfinder apps such as Magical Jellybean Keyfinder or Belarc Advisor. These should give you the keys for a range of installed programmes including Microsoft products..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Good thing that Windows is so user friendly. Funny

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Baldrick1

I'm not sure what number it is to be honest. According to the Properties it says Product I.D. then it has the letters OEM in it, the little sticker under the laptop hasn't.

@VileReynard

I know what you mean. Even my house windows don't have the keys anymore. Roll_eyes

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Baldrick1

Don’t fight it, install Belarc advisor and both the license number and activation key will be identified.

Moderator and Customer

adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

There is some legislation (from Germany I believe) that says, contrary to what Microsoft tell you, that it IS legal to re-sell licensed software.  I have bought refurb keys from various vendors on eBay and the keys always work, plus they update and most give a link to the 'proper' ISO on the Microsoft website.

Live long and prosper!
Baldrick1

But why would you when it costs nothing to extract the original activation key from an existing installation?

Moderator and Customer

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Yes, I have... done it with 3 copies... all worked..... @gleneagles have sent you a PM.

7up
Community Veteran

@adrian as far as I know it isn't actually illegal to resell software. It may be a breach of your licence but that is another matter compared to state law.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!