Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 pro new install query

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Windows 7 pro new install query

I`m  having a hard time,  I have a proper dvd of windows 7 pro, and a nice clean 500gb hdd.

The Laptop is a Dell inspiron 15 5558  and been inuse for a few years now. with no real problems... just want a bigger hdd... and a fresh install..

so... ran the installation dvd... took about 40mins to install...

Now I want to connect to the internet via the Ethernet cable.... however, there does not seem to be anyway I can do that... possibly cos I haven`t loaded up the DELL drivers... ... 

So... I shut down... put in the old hdd, with running copy of wn 7 pro.. and downloaded what I thought were the drivers for the machine... and then saved them to a folder on the desktop.   put a DVD RW in the slot... and copied them over to that... installed the "new"  Win 7 Pro 500gb hdd... and then proceeded to install the drivers... some of those reported that they were not suitable, or had some Kernel 32 DLL missing from the system..

In effect... the machine cannot install most of the drivers, and critically the ethernet and wifi drivers..

anyone got any ideas  to help me progress  ?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Windows 7 pro new install query

What happens when you try an Ethernet cable? What does Device Manager say about the network card? The Dell site says it is a Realtek LAN RTL8106E, and that should be a standard Windows install.

Will it access the internet via Wireless?

If yes, then get it online and tell Windows to update itself. It should find the relevant drivers itself ( but it may take a while!)

If it has no wireless  - or that won't connect, do you have access to another machine?

If you have can you download the drivers from Dell 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/product-support/product/inspiron-15-5558-laptop/drive...

shutter
Community Veteran

@wisty  Thanks for your reply.... the laptop was running a wifi and a ethernet connection, ( not both at the same time) on another hdd ( need to expand, hence the new install on the 500 gb ).

Using the proper DELL install dvd... I would have expected it to be able to connect via the ethernet cable,.. however, it says

Windowd did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter ( which I assume it has) you will need to re-install the driver.

OK... so how do I find that driver ?   if it can`t connect to the internet..

same thing applies to trying to set up a WIFI connection...

I did download a bunch of drivers from the dell site... using their recommended way of using the TAG number to identify the necessary drivers...but as metioned some difficulties arose with them also !

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

ome of those reported that they were not suitable, or had some Kernel 32 DLL missing from the system..

fwiw, did you download the wrong drivers for the version of Windows you installed?   

ie. there are separate 32 bit and 64 bit ethernet drivers for Windows 7 for the Inspiron 5558

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
shutter
Community Veteran

@bill888  @wisty {edit edit edit}   read this post for info..... then read my next one ! !

Just to make sure.... I have formatted the hdd.... and re-installed from the DELL w7pro dvd.

Just to make sure,... I have double checked and re-downloaded the 64 bit drivers as listed

copied them to a usb stick  ( as it was done on this machine ) ... and then inserted the usb stick in the other "new install" machine...

Tried to install 4 drivers, using " Run as administrator"... and this is the message box text

**************************************************************************************************************************************

The procedure entry point AddDllDirectory could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

[   OK     ]

***************************************************************************************************************************************

I feel sure, that after a "new install".. it should be possible to connect to the internet, via ethernet cable, but clicking on the internet icon in the lower right task bar....

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Hovering over it, gives.... Not connected - No connections available.

right click  - Troubleshoot  - 

window opens with.... Windos did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install  the driver.

clicking on NEXT   brings another window .

Problems found...

Windows fould not find a driver for your network adapter                 Detected           (yellow triangle with exclam mark inside)

There is a REALTEK RT; 8106E ethernet driver listed on the downloads... but that gives the message about KERNEL32.Dll

shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

@bill888   @wisty 

thought I would try a different route....

Plugged in my working W7Pro hdd.... then...

. went to Control Panel... found the Other Devices  Network Adapter... with the yellow triangle ..... right clicked it... update drivers.... and search for drivers on my computer  chose drive F:/   and after about 10 minutes it had found the driver, and connectedt to the internet... 

so am "kinda" sorted for now...  here`s hoping other drivers will be found easily this way too !.

thanks for your input... as always...  help is always appreciated... Wink

steveocee
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Now you have some form of internet access. It would likely be best to get straight to the Dell website and re-download the drivers on your new machine.

You realise though you could have installed Windows 10 and used the W7 Pro key to legitimately activate it? W10 is different but is quickly adaptable and a far superior experience from 7.
www.steveocee.co.uk
shutter
Community Veteran

@steveocee  Thanks for your input.... I did make sure that I was downloading the correct versions  Win 7 pro 64 bit..  I have not got a Win10 machine...  nor do I really want it....  I know Win 7 support finishes in Jan 2020, but I`m going to go to Linux Mint 19 then, with luck... !

@bill888  @wisty  After my posts last night.... 187 updates were downloaded and installed... this morning it seems to be accepting the Dell Drivers... (so far .... )  so maybe that KERNEL32.DLL got in there somehow ! .

Thanks to all for your input and advice..  much appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter wrote:

...187 updates were downloaded and installed... this morning it seems to be accepting the Dell Drivers... (so far .... )  so maybe that KERNEL32.DLL got in there somehow ! .

Your issue with the kernel32.dll would be down to a version compatibility issue. In other words the DLL that was on your install media, lets say version v1.a, didn’t match the one that was used to build the Dell Drivers (v1.c) so it threw up an error saying it couldn't be found.

Now, with the updates being done the v1.c kernel32.dll is installed and as you’ve seen the Driver is installing as expected.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@steveocee wrote: W10 is different but is quickly adaptable and a far superior experience from 7.

To be honest I don't see much difference between Windows 7, 8 or 10. They all do much the same. Display a screen etc.

The only difference with W10 is you've given Microsoft nigh on carte blanche access to YOUR computer. Microsoft will install what they think is best for you, when they like. Do they ever ask you? No.

The amount of times I get a pop up to say Windows will restart etc. No wonder the laptop has been on go slow, W10 has been downloading / installing in the background. While on a fast machine it probably wouldn't be noticeable, slower machines, it's like a slow death. Every thing slows down. And Microsoft keep altering it. It's like a work in progress. Last update (took 3 goes) was over 5Gb in size, (as was the one before) and took 3 hours to update one of the laptops. 3 hours! People buy computers to do work on, not hang around while it does updates.

Like @shutter I'm looking at alternatives.

And the amount of junk stuff that I have deleted from W10 on the laptops is one reason why I am glad I have stuck with W8.1 on the desk top. There is much more I wish I could delete or get rid of. Edge, Cortana, Xbox etc to tidy things up but I'm not given the option to do so. The laptops currently are bloatware machines..

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@idonno 

"Microsoft will install what they think is best for you, when they like. Do they ever ask you? No"

That is changing with version 1903.

See https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/132228-what-new-windows-10-may-2019-update-version-1903-a....

Also, automatic updates can be blocked by setting your connection to be metered. Cortana can already be switched off via Group Policy if you are on Windows 10 Pro.

Dave

shutter
Community Veteran

Just to finalize..... and that is what I have done !.... I have finished the "new install"... and all the other stuff that needed to be transferred .

The final part being the Emails, and the Address books on Thunderbird, to ensure a "continuity" there. It`s been a long job and It is such a relief..that it is all done.... ( just got to use it for a week or two, to make sure I HAVE done everything ! ) .

Thanks for the input guys... Wink

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Until next time...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."