cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 printer and scanner problems

morgan2476
Grafter

Windows 7 printer and scanner problems

Just installed win 7 like it very much, however the drivers for both  are very limited can't seem to get appropriate drivers for them.  Has anyone got any ideas? 
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Windows 7 printer and scanner problems

Hey there,just got windows 7 running myself today too,i like it aswell,im not sure where you could get drivers,what about going to the website of the company who made your pc?
Edit,also i think windows vista drivers work in windows seven if thats any help to you?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim): post relating to a non relevant operating system for this thread have been removed]
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you can advise the make/model of printer scanner we may be able to assist
morgan2476
Grafter

Hi  The scanner is a bearpaw 2448TA Pro and the printer is an epson C42Plus.  As I said they both work, but in a limited way.  There is no way of scanning negatives and the controls for the printer is limited.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Looks as though you have a problem
Epson aren't providing a proper driver.
With respect to the scanner have you tried using the Vista 32bit driver alternatively you may need to contact Mustaq support - I got there from here http://www.mustek.com.tw/Support/ by clicking on support and then via the product category route as putting in the code didn't seem to work
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Have you tried going to the manufacturers site, and checking for, or downloading the latest drivers from them, and then installing them..... I have an old HP scanjet 4300 which would not work as plug and play with vista, but downloading the driver from HP, fixed the problem... Wink
morgan2476
Grafter

I have tried all the manufaturers websites to no avail.  I will just have to use the scanner and printer with limited facilities.  It is strange that if I use Linux both the printer and scanner work with all facilities.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Manufactures don't want to support older (read over 1 year old) models. They would rather sell you a new one.
Quote from: morgan2476
It is strange that if I use Linux both the printer and scanner work with all facilities.

I did comment on this above but had it deleted  Crazy
This is what moved me away from M$ years ago, BUY a new OS and have to replace your working printer & scanner Crazy
morgan2476
Grafter

"This is what moved me away from M$ years ago"  I would love to change completely over to linux but there are a few small issues.
I find the directory sustem difficult to get to grips with.
No OCR software
No Nokia integration.
Other than that I love linux
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I use Nokia PC Suite in my XP VM, never used any OCR since early 90's so cant help there.
Quote from: morgan2476
I find the directory sustem difficult to get to grips with.

What about the directory system. It is a flat system (I.e. everything under /)
I spend most of my time in my home directory with folders containing everything I use. The programs are mostly installed by synaptic (a package manager) and they live in /usr/sbin or /opt BUT you don't have to look for them usually  Shocked
When I compile stuff the installer usually puts in the correct folder for me  Wink The hardest thing is not having to slow the pc down with a background virus scanner  Roll_eyes Grin
EDIT:- just did a search on OCR and there are a few available, cant comment on quality etc as I haven't used them  Wink
morgan2476
Grafter

Hi biker955 what is xp VM?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

A virtual machine, I use Virtualbox from Sun (Free) and you install the guest os in a virtual environment, just like a real computer but everything is virtual. You can connect usb devices and they behave just like they would connected directly to a real machine.
This way I can print cd's and photo's on my Canon iP4000 (not supported in high res in *nix without a purchased driver) and my phone to the Nokia suite if needed. Though I can send/receive pics/mp3's directly.
morgan2476
Grafter

Hi Biker 955     
Does that mean that I can remove windows install linux and the install windows as a virtual machine?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Yep!
What I have is (4 hdd's but never mind) My main (/) sys drive of 30Gb (over kill as it is using about 5Gb) and the /home partition as the rest less the swap partition. Update the install (about 10 min) Then install virtualbox from the sun web site (not the repo one as it doesn't support usb) and set it up with a 4Gb windows volume. You then point it at your windows cd or image and let it install. Install the virtualbox adons (there are guides on the site but it is easy, these let you resize the window add sound etc if you want it) and let windows spend days updating and rebooting itself while you get on with some real work on your system or just surf  Grin