Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 - if you really have to have it

Jamie_Hardy
Dabbler

Re: Windows 7 - if you really have to have it

Quote from: HPsauce
By "over" I mean on the box that currently has the RC. I will totally wipe and reinstall from scratch.  Wink

This is the only thing you can do, in the EU there is no upgrade version of Windows 7 only the full product. i.e. you will have to do a full clean install
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not true Jamie  see from reply 20 on
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Amazon have now increased the price so they must have run out http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-PC/dp/B002DUCMT2/ref=amb_link_84278153_1?pf_r...
Re upgrade - Windows 7 in the EU including the UK is not an upgrade edition but they are pricing it the same as the upgrade until they can sort out an upgrade which will work as it would have to remove IE7/8 from Vista which isn't currently possible
http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft-Europe-customers-must-wait-to-upgrade-Vista-to-Windows-7/1...
Edit - the price has dropped again so they really are in a bit of a mess
boavon
Grafter

I know I'm getting old and finding it increasingly difficult to find definative answers to some of my questions.  Am I just a miserable old cumudgeon - don't answer that! Crazy
Very simply will W7 pre-ordered upgrade thingy - home-premium allow me to fresh install on both my desktop and laptop - and only have to buy it once?
Many thanks to those who can supply definative answers and thanks also to those who bother to chip in with whatever they feel may be relevant or irrelevant.  Told you I'm a cantankerous old so-and-so. Crazy
God
Grafter

One copy, one computer. There is talk of a 'family pack' (3 licenses) later, but I don't know anything about the pricing.
mal0z
Grafter

Looks like Windows 7 in Europe will come without IE - horray !.
I've forgotten how to download software without a browser so maybe best to download Firefox, Opera or Safari onto a backup media first ?
I'm sure there is a way in a bare Win7 system - but I forget how ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: boavon
Told you I'm a cantankerous old so-and-so. Crazy
You'll fit in well here then  Cheesy
God
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
Looks like Windows 7 in Europe will come without IE - horray !.
I've forgotten how to download software without a browser so maybe best to download Firefox, Opera or Safari onto a backup media first ?
I'm sure there is a way in a bare Win7 system - but I forget how ?

Hmmm... If the FWs at the EU hadn't interfered you would have been able to use IE to download the browser of your choice... what a victory they have scored.... Now we have to download the browser of our choice before installing Win 7.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

around about answer 20 are links to the M$S reasoning and what to do about the browser
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Seem to be a few left at Comet.co.uk,  44.99  and Currys, 49.99 all for Home Premium.
God
Grafter

Quote from: Crucibleofevil
But why would you buy it anyway?
You have to ask why anyone would pay that kind of money for software whose only function is to facilitate the
running of programs on the system.

I really wish the LLA (Linux Liberation Army) would make peace with the WCG (Windows Continuity Group). The percentage of folks who are turned one way or another are negligible, most folks have a reason to be in one camp or another and the allure of an alien (to either side) operating system is negligible.
The whole my operating system is better than yours debate is for most users a load of boliarcks. You choose what you need or like best. It’s fairly insulting to tell intelligent users (of either OS) they don’t know what they are missing because they don’t use software they don’t like.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: boavon
Very simply will W7 pre-ordered upgrade thingy - home-premium allow me to fresh install on both my desktop and laptop - and only have to buy it once?

Absolutely NOT  Shocked
Buy one copy per computer.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@God - I don't need to bother about registrations, licences, EULA's and companies installing software to check that I'm not breaching copyright laws etc.
Obviously there are some very good programs in each of the 3 main OS's - but I've not yet found (for me) anything so essential that I need to bother
creating a virtualised environment.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

God
Grafter

So we are in broad agreement. All of our OS’s are good and so is the software that runs on it. Breaching copyright is an issue that I believe is OS independent; folks do or don’t do it regardless of their OS. Some (but by no means all) might find it a benefit to be reminded that they might be doing it.
I have never got as far as keeping a Linux OS on my PC but surely there is a licence (all be it open) and some form or registration that you  have to comply with should you want to take advantage of the paid support that funds distribution of a particular Linux flavour?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The only way I could breach a licence would be to ask for money for free software or to amend the source and ask for money, especially without releasing the source.
So that's no problem!
There is paid support available - but it's designed for "enterprise systems" - it's unnecessary for just running a few PC's.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."