Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 - if you really have to have it

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Windows 7 - if you really have to have it

linky
Finally, as a way of saying thank you to our loyal Windows customers, we are excited to introduce a special time limited offer! We will offer people in select markets the opportunity to pre-order Windows 7 at a more than 50% discount. In the US, this will mean you can pre-order Windows 7 Home Premium for USD $49.99 or Windows 7 Professional for USD $99.99. You can take advantage of this special offer online via select retail partners such as Best Buy or Amazon, or the online Microsoft Store (in participating markets).
This program begins tomorrow in the U.S., Canada and Japan. The offer ends July 11th in the U.S. and Canada and on July 5th for Japan or while supplies last. Customers in the UK, France and Germany, can pre-order their copy of Windows 7 starting July 15th and will run until August 14th (or supplies last) to ensure folks don’t miss out on this. Act fast if you want to be the first in line to get Windows 7 at this screaming deal! Note: The special low pre-order price will vary per country.
Here's the deal
Many of you offered feedback that helped us make Windows 7 work the way you want. We think we found the perfect way to thank you—a chance to be one of the first (without having to wait in line) to get Windows 7 at a special low price.
You can pre-order Windows 7 Home Premium E for £49** or Windows 7 Professional E for £99**. The offer is available through participating retailers. Each retailer will tell you how to get your copy when Windows 7 is released.
*  The offer begins on 15th July, 2009 and will end on 9th August, 2009.
** Estimated Retail Price

89 REPLIES 89
James
Grafter

Re: Windows 7 - if you really have to have it

It's probably cheaper to order it from the States 😛
Santiago
Grafter

It is for most things
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Wow! For the cost of a <i>License</i> to W7, you can buy a whole mini laptop running Linux.
Know which I would rater have  Grin
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Jameseh
It's probably cheaper to order it from the States 😛
yup - it is actually dollars for pounds
Windows 7 is coming on October 22, 2009. Here's an easy way to get it fast and save a bundle: Pre-order a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for $49** or a Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for $99.** That's about half off the estimated retail prices. This offer is available through participating retailers. Pick one below and pre-order today. They'll tell you how to get your copy when Windows 7 is available.
James
Grafter

Yup - That was what I was pointing out, even with increased postage costs.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Is there a block on using the USA license in the UK
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Only if you tell Microsoft your ip address.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

samuria
Grafter

The full uk price will be £149.99 for Windows 7 Home Premium, £219.99 for Windows 7 Professional and £229.99 for Windows 7 Ultimate version.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8118749.stm
Because its the uk you cant have an upgrade hence no IE included. Its expensive for something that will no doubt be bug ridden
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

with 2 desktops on XP and a vista laptop I'm planning to get all 3 on Win 7 but not until mid 2010 when hopefully it will be stable and a SP1 will have got the major headaches out of the way.
Looks like its going to cost me though.
Mav
Fixes: 514

Would any W7 downloads between release date and release of SP1 really be different than waiting for SP1 to be included considering regular updates/patches/fixes would be released anyway?
Better to purchase while cheaper (probably still a rip-off for the UK) then download the updates inc SP1 when it's released and start using then.
I didn't buy XP till 2006, would never touch Vista but will probably pre-order W7.
Edit: Should have said boxes and not downloads - but my principle is the same.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

But why would you buy it anyway?
You have to ask why anyone would pay that kind of money for software whose only function is to facilitate the
running of programs on the system.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I personally think that with Win7 M$ may have finally got it somewhat right.........  I think Win7 is a pretty good system.  Had the RC running on my older Tosh Laptop for a few weeks, and had no major issues at all, except that there were no drivers for the Intel 855GM chipset. Had to use the built in VGA drivers, that caused issues even with Windows built in games, and DVD playback etc. Have had to revert back to XP.  Would never touch Vista, but if M$ can resolve the VGA driver issues for some intel chipsets ( and they should as googling this, pulls a huge amount of hits), I would buy as well.  I agree its expensive, but I do have avenues to get it in the states.  Whats this about M$ knowing your IP and not allowing you to use it, or is somebody pulling my leg????
Mav
Fixes: 514

Imagine buying a video camera in the States to find out that you can't use it with UK electricity  Cry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Thanks Mav...... Roll_eyes
I was aware of these issues ;),  but unsure as to why software would not work?Huh