Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 help needed. (SOLVED)

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Windows 7 help needed. (SOLVED)

OK I Have reinstalled windows 7 several times from disk without any problems but this time have come unstuck and require advice on where I go from here.
Had Linux & windows on a dual boot menu but thought I would start from scratch as there was a lot of junk on the computer so popped in the windows disk which gets to the start of the installation but it cannot find a HDD to put it on .?
So I go into the bios and find that the first boot option is the dvd which is correct and must be ok as it starts reading the disk but the second option is ubuntu and the third option is the HDD.
So it would seem to be a simple matter of swapping the boot order between ububtu and the HDD but for some reason it is not allowing me to do so.
Now I can install linux from disk no problem so is there some way I can easily sort this problem using linux or clonezilla.
All previous reinstalls have worked ok using the same disk as I understand windows formats the disk but the problem seems to be windows is unable to see the disk as the next thing in line is ubuntu
Hard to see how the disk can be faulty, windows asks for the drivers for the disk but going on to the seagate site I see nothing obvious for the ST1000DM003 HDD.
Any help or advice would be appreciated
We are born into history and history is born into us.
3 REPLIES 3
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Windows 7 help needed.

Try removing all partitions using Linux (assuming you want to blank the disk) then reboot, recreate a partition with Linux and reboot then try an install of Windows.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Windows 7 help needed. (SOLVED)

Found an old copy of a program called , 'Spotman '
Never used it before but it allowed me to format the  HDD. For  'NTFS' and also remove Linux, Windows is now reinstalling with no problems.
I thought gparted might have done the trick but no luck.
Too embarrassed to tell how long I have spent in sorting this.
Smiley
We are born into history and history is born into us.
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Windows 7 help needed. (SOLVED)

Don't worry - I've been there too and had a few long head scratching sessions !
I've seen most of what can go wrong in the 25+ years I've been in IT