Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 connecting to Plusnet Hub

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Windows 7 connecting to Plusnet Hub

Everytime I wish to connect to the internet using windows 7 it asks for the password to connect to the Hub but never retains the wireless password key.

This seems to be a common issue with a variety of fixes shown on the internet but having tried a number the problem persists.

Using a lenovo laptop if that relevant.

Windows 7 is up to date.

Any ideas.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
6 REPLIES 6
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Windows 7 connecting to Plusnet Hub

Hi @gleneagles

Sorry this is happening, as you stated it seems to be a common Windows 7 issue.

I've had a search through some other forums and websites (as I'm sure you did as well) and can see that this issue seems to be present on Windows 7 machines regardless of the ISP the user is with. That lead me to investigate this issue on the Microsoft Forums itself, upon doing this I found this thread entitled "Windows 7 not saving wifi password". At the bottom of the thread it states that "2 people were helped by this reply", whilst this is not a large number, it does give me some hope that you may find it useful!

Could you please have a read through the thread and try the different steps it advises (if they are different from the fixes you have already tried) and let us know if any of them offer a solution?

Thanks,

Alisdair

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for responding. I do not use windows much which may reflect in my following response.

No problem into getting into Wlan Autoconfigure and stopping the service but what I cannot find is C:/program data/microsoft/Wlansvc

I can find program files which list microsoft security client and Microsoft.NET (redlist) but nothing about Program data ?

I note the / is shown in the opposite direction on those instructions but get nowhere trying it in that direction.

Further advice or clarification would be appreciated

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It's my job to fix computers.  I have never seen a computer with this problem in all the time that Windows 7 has existed.  I suppose it's possible that some long time ago I found and fixed the problem and have now forgotten; I would certainly remember it if it had defeated me.  So whilst it may be easy to find reports of this problem online, it is by no means common.

I would be tempted to uninstall the wireless adaptor, move it to another port (if feasible) and re-install.  Of course you'll need to have downloaded the necessary hardware drivers first.    

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

This thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/windows-doesnt-remember-wifi-... suggests a more plausible solution, that some other software is trying to manage the WiFi password and making a hash of it (30 people helped).

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Try deleting ALL network devices in device manager and then reboot.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for the responses, I will check those ideas out over the weekend and get back with a reply.