Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 and other protection

Wuz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Windows 7 and other protection

I bought the OH a laptop with Vista and then a free £27 upgrade to Win 7. I added Avast and Secunia as they all update automatically.
I have upgraded my old PC to Win 7. It had Xp, Avast, Zone alarm, Spybot, CCleaner, Secunia  and used Acronis for backup.
I have only added Avast and Secunia at present. Zone alarm had a conflict with Avast a while back and then with AVG later on so I am thinking of leaving it off this time. Didn't have AVG and Avast at the same time.
Spybot I may put back on but not CCleaner and I am not going to use Acronis.  I am thinking of installing  Malwarebytes.
I am trying to make life simpler but is it too risky to rely on the Win 7 firewall, Avast and probably Malwarebytes?

Wuz
12 REPLIES 12
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Windows 7 and other protection

Quote from: Wuz
I am trying to make life simpler but is it too risky to rely on the Win 7 firewall, Avast and probably Malwarebytes?

I wouldn't say so. You sound fairly IT literate, so that should be sufficient as long as you're connecting via a router with the usual level of protection from the outside world. I use the Windows firewall and Avira Antivirus Personal with my Win 7 build and that suffices. I do run the occasional malware scan but only if I suspect something's untoward or if somebody else on the network has recently recovered from a malware/virus infection.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

nadger
Rising Star

I'm using Win 7 firewall and AVG 9 Free on laptop with no problems.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I'm using windows 7 firewall with microsoft's security essentials on my desktop with no problem's.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
wacky17
Grafter

Zone alarm i found a resource hog so i dont even use that and in a way i find avg is little like that too :-\. The two i find to be the best is comodo for the firewall and avast for the anti-virus.
jackoab
Grafter

Why is no-one using M/S Security Essentials? I've been using it for about 3 months now and find it excellent, very light and very quick in fact you hardly know it's there !!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Look at my previous post here and read it,ive said im using microsoft security essentials,light and you dont even know its there,same when doing scans.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The risk is mostly about how naive you are, what you do online and how good your computer housekeeping is.
You need a firewall but most people these days connect through a router which has a built-in firewall.  That plus the Windows 7 firewall gives you all the protection you need.
You need security software that updates itself automatically.  Avast is fine but no such software gives you 100% protection.  Much of the conventional software isn't very good at dealing with the fake-security-software type malware so keep Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware on hand.
Make sure you keep up to date with Windows updates and also updates for non-Windows utility software that can be invoked online such as Java, Flash Player, Real Player, Quicktime and Adobe Reader.  Malware often exploits security holes in older unpatched software.
Be very  wary of the stuff you find on peer to peer file sharing sites and other sites in the more seamy side of the internet but also be aware that the site for Joe's Garden Sheds may have been hacked because Joe knows about garden sheds but doesn't know enough about keeping his website safe.  If you see a weird pop-up, use Task Manger to close all browser sessions and see if it goes away.  And if you get an email from somebody you don't know (or even somebody you do know) saying "Is this really your photograph?", don't follow the link.  If you have kids, especially teenagers, try to give them a Standard User account for when they are online as they won't be street-smart enough online to follow this advice.
So, don't obsess about what software you have, make sure the software you do have is all up-to-date and focus on what you do.  That will keep your computer as safe from threats as it is possible to be.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: jac2285
Why is no-one using M/S Security Essentials?

Plenty are, including me and several people I know.
PS @ReedRichards - well said and 100% accurate.
I see computers every day (it's my business) that have been compromised and no protection software is immune, it's almost always down to what the user did; naively, illegally, riskily, ill-advisedly, lazily or whatever.... Roll_eyes
Wuz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Many thanks to all.
I will download Malwarebytes and not use my PC when tired. I opened a email purporting to be from PC World and followed the link and if passwor had had a d at the end I might have fallen for it! I keep telling people not to click on links!!
My knowledge  just about exceeds my family mainly because of your help. Think my knowledge peaked at Win 95 and still yearn for the days Win 3.1 and no "cheap" internet!!
Wuz
Not applicable

Not to forget that Windows 7 comes with integral Defender so you have spyware protection (real time) in this.
Have scanned with this over the years and it has never found anything whereas other programmes like Malwarebytes, SAS do pick up things.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Just as a note you may already know as poppy mentioned windows defender i have to agree with her,im not a huge fan of it,never seems to do anything but REMEMBER no two spywares active at the same time!
Mav
Fixes: 514

Just to add that I agree with ReedRichards but want to re-iterate how important it is to maintain updates and regular scans.
I have never had my PC compromised yet and hope i never do and try to maintain vigilance.
SWMBO, on the other hand, became complacent even though I kept badgering her to complete regular updates and ended up with several virii and an almost unusable system which required a re-install of XP.
She now regularly updates and runs the various scans. - without prompt:)

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still