cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 and other languages

Mav
Fixes: 515

Windows 7 and other languages

Does anyone know whether a retail or upgrade version of Windows 7 purchased in UK can be installed in Russian?
I'm aware that you can change keyboard layouts and switch between them but I mean have the OS in Russian.
SWMBO will be inviting a friend here soon and would like to have Russian installed for her as she doesn't understand any English.
I don't want her to have to purchase a copy in Ukraine if we can do it with what we already have here.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

12 REPLIES 12
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Windows 7 and other langiages

This from the 'help' screen on my Windows 7:
Install or change a display language
You can change the language Windows uses to display text in wizards, dialog boxes, menus, and other items in the user interface. Some display languages are installed by default, while others require you to install additional language files.
There are two types of language files:
Windows 7 Language Interface Packs (LIPs).‌ Windows 7 LIPs provide a translated version of the most widely used areas of the user interface. LIPs are freely available to download. For more information, including a list of languages available, go to the Microsoft Local Language Program website.
Windows 7 language packs.‌ Windows 7 language packs provide a translated version of most of the user interface.
Before you can install a display language, you need access to the language files. These files can be found on your computer, a computer in your network, or your Windows DVD. They can also be downloaded from the web. For more information about the differences between language packs and Language Interface Packs, and how to get them, see How do I get additional display languages?
Note
Language packs are available in Windows 7 Ultimate through Windows Update as optional updates. They aren't installed automatically. If you're using Windows 7 Enterprise, contact your system administrator for information about installing additional languages.

Link (didn't work in my paste above):
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/languages
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
CX
Grafter

I can only speak of my experience of this with regards to Spanish.
As far as I know, this is only available in Windows 7 Ultimate. Even Windows 7 Professional doesn't support the language packs, and you can forget about the Home editions.
It's not quite as good as a true regionalised version either (or maybe better, depending on how you look at it). With a native Spanish install, the folder names are regionalised (Archivo de programa instead of Program Files, for example) whereas with an English install with MUI, they all have the original English-language names. Whether or not this becomes a problem depends on software - properly written software shouldn't care. Badly written software making assumptions could fail on either, depending on what it was expecting.
w23
Pro

Looks like both Russian and Ukranian require Windows 7 ultimate (or enterprise).
You might want to try here to see if you would qualify to purchase a 'student' license: http://www.software4students.co.uk/Software4Students__Am_I_Eligible-article.aspx
and then check this price: http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Windows_7_Ultimate_32_bit_Edition_Upgrade-details.aspx (note, this is an upgrade so requires a valid version of windows (XP onward I believe) to already be installed.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Even if the OS is switched to Russian, it does not mean your applications will be in Russian as that is a separate issue - you often have to buy/install other language versions of programs like office, firefox etc for them to also be usable in Russian.
The other issue is if the software you have actually works with a English/Russian set-up as just changing the OS language on an already installed system does not change the name of the folders, whereas a fully Russian installed system would have the folder names in Russian.
I also know some versions of WIn7 don't support language packs but not sure which ones.
w23
Pro

Or you could install Linux, most recent distros that I know of offer an enormous range on install languages I'm sure that open office and the like also install in the selected language (though you might have trouble giving 'tech support' in an unfamiliar OS in a language you don't speak).
Call me 'w23'
Mav

Thanks for the replies.
Further reading took me to this page which confirms they are only available for Enterprise and Ultimate editions.
It also seems that the language can be set to a new user account using Reserve Accounts as per this page.
So this may be the answer. I do have an Ultimate Edition (as yet not used). What isn't clear at the moment is how to undo the changes so that any further user accounts will be in UK English again. Further reading required....
@Peter Yep, I realise that. I did find it strange when I used PCs in Ukraine that so many program's menus and boses were in English rather than Russian.
@walker23 That's how I got the Ultimate edition Wink
Edt: Spelling all over the place as keyboard batteries were getting low  Cheesy
Edit 2: I'm still wondering, though, whether a clean install will allow the full installation in Russian meaning folders will be named correcly? Undecided

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Windows 7 and other languages

Quote from: Mav
I don't want her to have to purchase a copy in Ukraine if we can do it with what we already have here.

You might find that a copy purchased in the Ukraine could not be activated in the UK.  I certainly had that problem trying to install a Chinese copy of Windows 7 on a computer here.  I guess Windows 7 is a lot cheaper in China, so Microsoft does not want these cheap copies exported. 
jackoab
Grafter

Don't forget that you'll also need a Russian keyboard!!
Mav

Got a few keyboards. Nearly every time I went out I bought a new one back. They used to be extremely cheap for wireless keyboard/mouse sets. Think they're about the same now.
The earlier ones had the characters rub off quite quickly. My current one has been going for around 3 years with no sign of wear yet.

community
Grafter

Hi Mav
Do you happen to know if the russian wireless keyboards are available in UK? or better still if 'overlays' are available i.e. the rubbery plastic ones which I remember from many years ago.
I have just bought a new wireless set keyboard and mouse and I cannot write  the cyrillics on the black keys. Angry
On previous keyboards I have been able to overwrite in permanent felt tip pens.
spasibo.
спасибо  ! Ijust found this available on  http://winrus.com/screen_e.htm ; ! Smiley
Mav

Is this any good.
I've never used overlays or stickers personally.
Before I got my first Russian keyboard I used a site like the one in your link. May have even been that one.

community
Grafter

Thanks for the link.
I think that perhaps the stickers are good for others but I would prefer to use a complete overlay.
I also write only the occasional russian so maybe a total and permanent cover of the keys is a little OTT.
Your help appreciated.