Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 & XBox media streaming problem

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Windows 7 & XBox media streaming problem

I'm currently driving myself insane with a problem that I seem to be having with media streaming to my XBox since installing Windows 7 RC1. This was working fine under Windows XP, neither did I have any problems with Windows 7 build 7000. To be honest I'm pretty sure it was working under RC1 originally too.
No matter what I seem to do do my XBox either cannot see my Windows 7 machine or instead flatly refuses to connect to it saying that there's a problem with the network. I don't have Homegroups enabled and am not using Windows Media Center - instead I'm sharing media using network discovery on the home network and Windows Media Player 12.
I've tried the Homegroups and Windows Media Center routes anyway and I still encounter similar problems.
My XBox is wired to the router and all other devices are connected wirelessly. The weird thing is the fact that all the other devices on my network (namely laptops and my Nokia N95) have no problem identifying, connecting to and streaming media from the Windows 7 machine. It's just the XBox with the problem.
I'f you leave the Xbox long enough attempting to locate a network then it does eventually identify the Windows 7 machine. If you try and connect to it though it dies saying there's a problem with the network and invites you to use the diagnostic troubleshooter (which is of no help). The XBox can see and connect to any of the other laptops on the network if they have network discovery and folder sharing switched on (most of these machines are have Vista installed).
To make things even more baffling, the Windows 7 machine has no problem seeing the XBox as can be seen by the network mapping below.

You can also see the XBox when listing the network devices on the network.

Media streaming is enabled in WMP12 and my Music/Video libraries contain plently of media that's compatible with the Xbox.

Checking my media streaming options again shows that the Xbox is visible.

All the relevant folders show up as network shares too.

I've done a bit of googling and the closest thing I can find to the problem I'm experiencing is this which unfortunately doesn't shed any light on a solution.
Short of reinstalling Windows, I'm all out of ideas and I'm lost without my media streaming Sad
I've tried two separate routers (Voyager 2091 & Thomson 585v7) but the problem remains with both of them.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

5 REPLIES 5
scootie
Grafter

Re: Windows 7 & XBox media streaming problem

havent even attempted to connect my xbox up to W7 RC yet but seeing this i will see how i get on later
scootie
Grafter

Looks like iam back to sqaure one with W7 RC media extender this is what i had problem with last time http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,71960.msg570846.html#msg570846
But i had just solved that when i got my second dg834g v4 up running all my music played fine and menus were o.k on vista and still are unless somthing major has happened switching between vista and W7 rc just now
Same as problem before the music and video on the dashboard are fine its just the media centre is so un responsive on menus and frezzes up and with w7 mc it even keeps loosing connection to the pc
on vista i did the same as you set it up through media player but this time i just went straight to setting media centre up and added the folders i wanted to share
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I bit the bullet and went for a format/reinstall. Initially I was still having problems, but they now seem to have subsided and all is working normally again for the time being.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

scootie
Grafter

what speed wireless are you using bob? if its 54g i might be tempted to have another crack at getting w7 and xbox media centre running smooth.
i ran belkin n150 enhanced wireless router for few days on vista and the network test on the xbox media centre was only just above standard t.v yet the menus were fine.
where my netgear dg834g v4 reports just a fraction under hdtv on the test yet that has problems on the menus and frezzes up
both were running in 54g mode
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: ASBO
what speed wireless are you using bob?

Yes, it's 54g.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team