cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor app

techguy
Grafter

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor app

Does anyone know whether one of these exists yet?
12 REPLIES 12
samuria
Grafter

Re: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor app

From what I know there isnt one as its still in beta there is no way of knowing as it can change but if you use the Vista one its 98%
techguy
Grafter

I know this PC runs Vista but anyway I'm not going to upgrade till I replace my hardware again I don't think.
Got burned buying the Vista upgrade (as needed some idea how it worked for work) but I definitely prefer XP as a day to day workhorse (indded work wont roll out Vista on the network and are sticking with XP)
Kazbah
Grafter

i have to agree with techguy, not over keen on vista, once its tweaked its not too bad but not liking the look of windows 7 at all. Will defo be sticking with good old XP pro. I built my PC last October and has the ability to run whatever OS I want but still sticking to XP
zubel
Community Veteran

Windows 7 can use Vista or XP drivers, and also uses far fewer system resources than Vista does.
I have it running on my Eee PC - 1.6GHz Atom Processor and 1GB memory, with onboard Intel grafix.  Works absolutely fine, with the Aero interface.
B.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Welcome to the Forums - until your other post no clues as to who you were, not many of your sort here, build own PC, Comes from Yorkshire and doesnt like shopping for HER clothes
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I think as a general rule, if it works WELL with XP-SP3 it will work fine with W7, maybe with a little more RAM and disk space required.
The odd bit of antique hardware may be problematic of course.
amir852
Grafter

you will need atleast 17GB of free space or you can install it on other hard disk and you may need to have atleast 512mb/256mb of graphics card and 1GB ram. or if you don't want to upgrade your card just uninstall the windows7 aero like the vista you can uninstall it so you dont need to upgrade your graphics card
techguy
Grafter

I keep saying that I'll build my next PC but I never do as with working shifts I tend to only do what I need to do on my days off so I tend to order my PCs, then once they arrive and I know the components work, scrub the harddisk and do a clean install of the OS.
I'm intending on updating my PC next year so it'll prob have Windows 7.
I think MS should take a little more time before releasing 7 to make sure the stuff you don't see works properly and is as secure as possible as seems a bit too soon after Vista but I suppose the system builders and MS' shareholders were clamouring for them to do something because people were not buyying systems.
Anyway cheers for all the info all.
Golferpete
Grafter

Hi, I am running Vista home premium
tgr
Grafter

Windows 7 I agree with tech guy I never buy a new computer till the latest system is on it and then I generally wait 6 months until service pack 1 comes out and to be honest generally a year until service pack 2 is out but of course we are talking about buggy windows I have little trouble with my mac computer.  Isnt windows wonderful they take ages to get out a new version no one with half a brain will buy a new PC until the system is out and the pc manufacturers are pulling the hair out and dropping the price of pcs on a weekly basis to try and sell pcs with a system which will soon be obsolete.  Why doesnt microsoft keep quiet about its system until a couple of weeks before it is due out.  I am running a six year old windows with win XP on it and it works ok but i want a new one as do many other people.  I mainly use the windows PC to play poker on and i cannot find a poker company that has a prog that you can download for poker on to the mac.  Yes i am aware u can play through your browser but it is unstable and you do not want to crash just as you get two aces in the hole.  If anyone does knows a company that has a full version of poker that you can download to the mac i would be grateful for info.
Gordon
techguy
Grafter

Sorry but I have to say this.
I'd rather pay for a PC that may come with Windows but that I can put whatever on rather than buy something from Apple who wish to maintain a stranglehold over the OS for double the price.
techguy
Grafter

In answer to your question, Have you tried using Firefox as opposed to Safari? (which is pretty dire IMO)