Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Updates

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Windows 7 Updates

I have re-installed Windows 7 on my small laptop... in readiness for the impending Win10 issue....
Yeah, I know its only about 6 to 8 weeks away, but.... Windows Update tells me I have 168 important updates that need to be installed... however,... I selected them all, this morning, and 2 hours later, the downloading bar showed.... Downloading 168 updates ( 0KB total, 0%complete).
So I stopped it, and shut down,... started again, only this time I thought I would start at the bottom of the list ( presuming these were the "oldest" and maybe needed to be done first). and checked 15 updates for install... after 3 attempts, It managed to download and install 14 of them... so I then try for the next 15.. but I`m still waiting, another 2 hours, and showing as above 0KB and 0%  complete..
Shutting down and rebooting and restarting does not seem to shift them...
Is there any way, I can download these updates onto a VIsta laptop ( this one) and then save them to a usb stick, and then install them from that ? 
16 REPLIES 16
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Windows 7 Updates

Don't know about the usb stick trick, but it could be the edb.log file is corrupted.
Try renaming it and rebooting - Windows will recreate it.
You could try the same thing with datastore.edb as well as the log file if recreating only the log file doesn't work. You may have to turn off Windows Updater temporarily to do this (I didn't.)
I renamed (and subsequently deleted) both files in the course of trying to quell the daily disk thrashing as Windows Updater checked for updates - it didn't accomplish my aims but might work for your problem.
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... thanks for that tip... will give it a try later... at the moment am managing to get the next 10 updates downloading, and installed.. so maybe a long night ahead... or perhaps do it tomorrow if the weather is as bad as the forecast...  Wink
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have noticed that sometimes the "progress" on Windows Update isn't meaningful, staying at zero for ages then jumping.
If you have loads to do just let it run overnight, making sure the power settings will not let it sleep or hibernate.
JayG
Pro

Glad to hear it's working, albeit in small chunks - the update process is amazingly clunky and uses a lot of resources - my datastore.edb file is currently 770MB and Windows Updater (on auto) apparently checks every single bit of it every single day to make sure it hasn't overlooked anything!  Shocked
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I did 2 PC's recently, do you want the bad news?
That 168 updates is just pass 1. Once they are in there are a whole raft more that follow. All in all I had 4 passes before it settled down.
Let's be careful out there !
robski1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

I have just reinstalled Windows 7 on my Samsung laptop.
It took nearly all day and as HPsauce says, the download progress bar didn't move for ages then suddenly moved to 100% and the install started.
It took three goes to get up to date.
chrcoluk
Grafter

when I had this issue it was down to a mtu issue.  Took me a while to diagnose it.
If you on FTTC force your mtu to 1492 and try again.
NedLudd
Grafter

In years gone by I used to 'slipstream' Windows updates onto a new installation disk. This has the effect of creating a new installation disk with all the latest updates in one go. Then you just run the disk for a fully up-to-date install!
Perhaps http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/ may be able to help out!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
shutter
Community Veteran

OK. guys... thanks for the latest....
Overnight, I got it down to 58 left to do this morning.... so as it is chucking it down.. and blowing a bstd strong gale I won`t be going out, so may as well carry on...
Useful info about WUD there.. might consider that next time,,,... after working out what/how to do it...  Wink
@ Kremmen..... cheers mate..... made my day    Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran

Well, I finally finished the updates..... wel.. I did... BUT... windows decided that... for some reason, one or more of the last updates did not proceed well, so it aborted, and cancelled the update, and reverted back to prior to the update starting... I have tried about 4 or 5 times to re do them, but to no avail...
I mean... how can an operating system that is governed by it`s own download and install programs, fail to update itself, and then revert back to the time before, as if nothing was wrong... surely, this stuff is what all these updates are supposed to fix, isn`t it?  fixing bugs and stuff ....
had a quick look through the updates and cant find that one thats supposed to offer the win 10 upgrade... even though my system is "eligible" according to the Microsoft site...
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

you get a new subroutine magically appear on your task bar with the windows logo you click it and register your email address for the w10 pre acceptance list Smiley
I know this because I just did it not realising I will now be tied to that for all 5 of the machines my login is used on /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

If your having issues with the massive updates list then do it in stages. If applicable download any service packs available since your CD/DVD was released.
Once that's done then during the update stage remove all the ticks from the ones that aren't badged as 'culmulative' and let them go in first.
They often render some of the others as not needed.
My many passes was also due to me having Office which turns Windows Update into Microsoft Update which includes all those updates.
Let's be careful out there !
shutter
Community Veteran

@nanotm.... thanks for that.... the icon does not appear on my taskbar.... so may have to try "other routes"... unless, my laptop is scheduled toe get the update some time soon....
"other routes" ?  this from Moneysaving expert email.....

the following help steps have also been reported as having worked for some people (though this has not been verified by Microsoft and when we tried it didn't work for us).
Free Windows 10 upgrade help steps
    Make sure you're on Windows 7 or 8.1 and your software is up-to-date. You can check for updates via the Windows Update program, which you can find in your start menu, then type 'Windows Update' in the search bar.
    Then open the Control Panel from the Start Menu, click on Administrative Tools (this may be inside the 'System and Security' section for some) and then open Task Scheduler.
    Once done, click Task Scheduler Library on the left-hand pane to expand the folder, then expand the Microsoft folder, the Windows folder, and lastly the Setup folder.
    Click the folder GWXTriggers, and hit Run on the far right of the window. (Got it? It sounds complicated but follow these steps and it should work.)

And this page explains your reply in more detail ....  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade
@Kemmen...
Yes I have SP1 installed, and did just that... I just checked (ticked) the last 15 or so updates, and let them run... then did the next batch until all were finished.... still had that one that would not go... and many show "cancelled" in the "update history"... either that is because they were rubbish downloads, ( corrupted in some way )... or possibly, because of SP1 no longer needed...
Either way.. I won`t lose any sleep over them... if they "go in" then fine... if not... I can`t do much about it...  Grin

As usual... thanks for your help guys...  Wink
JayG
Pro

Maybe now would be a good time to try the suggestions in reply #1 - rename rather than delete the 2 files so you can revert to the originals if it gets its knickers in an even bigger twist!