Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Updates (Issue sorted)

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Windows 7 Updates (Issue sorted)

Are all updates both past and present no longer available for Windows 7 now that it's mainstream support has ended.
The reason I ask is that I have a laptop that I used for the Windows 10 Beta program and decided to return it to W7 use.
I reformatted the drive and installed a copy of Windows 7 Professional.
I kicked off the Windows Update but it just sat there for hours downloading nothing.
Are updates no longer available?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
12 REPLIES 12
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Windows 7 Updates

If  I understand correctly  security updates will continue until January 14, 2020.
My last W7 SP1 update was on 27th July.
Have you tried running the Windows Update Troubleshooter? Control Panel/Troubleshooting/System And Security/Fix Problems With Windows Update
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

I believe Win 7 is now in the extended support phase (until Jan 2020) which in effect means that only security updates are provided, which I still get for the OS on 'update Thursday' every month (but no longer for the legacy Office 2003.)
Don't know whether all the previous updates are available on a new install, although there have been a few recent posts about how long it took to download all the updates, so on that basis I guess the answer is that they are:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,141707.msg1250317.html#msg1250317
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Hi Strat....
Just foramtted a hdd and put W7 pro from a dvd on it.... then did the updates.... there are about 250 of them... culminating (yesterday) with the one that puts the W10 updater on... so... you will have to wait for about 8 hours for the downloads to complete then about another 6 hours for them to install....
At first you may get a notification saying installing 205 updates... then when that has finished it will probably say.. 97 failed... If you re-boot... those failed updates should just start to install by themselves.. and you have to wait another 4 or 5 hours for them to finish...
Strat
Community Veteran

Thanks shutter....maybe I'm being a bit impatient expecting it to show any sign at all of updating after a couple of hours Wink
I'll leave it running the rest of today and see what happens.
I was expecting a considerable number of updates.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
JayG
Pro

If you continue to have problems try deleting (or renaming) the datastore folder - either the log or database files may have got their knickers in a twist - running Windows Update again will recreate it from scratch (probably best to reboot first.)
c:\windows\softwaredistribution\datastore
Strat
Community Veteran

Thanks JayG but I went to Tesco and when I returned it had kicked into life and was downloading 196 updates so something worked Undecided
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Windows 7 Updates (Issue sorted)

I was expecting a considerable number of updates.
downloading 196 updates

yeah, Just gotta find something else to do for the next couple of days ! ! ! ....
don`t forget a big proportion will FAIL... just re-boot... and they should start again..... .... ...  .... .... .... .... ....  Huh
Strat
Community Veteran

Very few of the many Windows installs I've done over the years have failed in this manner so stubbornly Angry
But never mind, all's well that ends well Smiley
Oh...and thanks to all who contributed Smiley
JayG
Pro

I'm not surprised it's taking so long - my Win7 PC used to chug slowly though the datastore file every day for a about 10 minutes soon after start-up, slowing everything else down to a crawl, even if there was actually nothing new to download and install.  Tongue
I do it manually now, with a task scheduled pop up to remind me in case I'm having a senior moment at the time.  Roll_eyes
Strat
Community Veteran

I remember configuring a Windows server with WSUS. Now that made life easier Cool
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I re-installed Windows 7 a few weeks ago and also experienced a very long wait whilst it was checking for updates.  It then tried to install ~200 at once and failed.
You would probably find that had you turned the computer off after it had spent a while checking for updates it would actually have found some and would try to install them,
Strat
Community Veteran

When a computer sits for over an hour with no HD or network activity, one tends to lose faith in an impending result Wink