Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is here

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is here

Flippin' SP1 took me for ever to install (when it first appeared it reported an installation error, subsequet Windows updates installed OK buit not SP1).
I soon found PlusNet Protect (McAffee) kept switching off its auto-protect, tried everything eventually uninstalled it and reinstalled, tried the SP1 update while AV was uninstalled, no luck then could not re-install the AV.
Scanned laptop in question with every (trusted) online scanner available including rootkit scanners, a few 'trojans' found but all in very old files and almost certainly false positives, got a 'java update available' notification - this would not install, adobe then said my Flash wanted updating stopped halfway and did nothing for hours, uninstalled flash and managed to re-install.
Downloaded trial of Kasperski and managed to install, still no luck with SP1.
Hijack This showed nothing untoward, disabled all unnecessary start-up progs, and tried again, still no luck, MBAM, Symantec & other online scanners giving clean bill of health.
Found 'Software update preparation tool' on Microsoft, this wouldn't install.  Aaaarggggh.
Disabled all but the most essential services (running with basic desktop, no Aero type effects, no sound etc.), SP1 no luck, preparation tool finally installed, now able to update Java and SP1 finally installed taking about 2 hours.
I finally have PN Protect re-installed, everything updated and looking OK but as I'm trying to log an ADSL issue I have not re-enabled sound, fancy graphics, remote desktop etc.
Laptop is definitely snappier with SP1 but this is almost certainly because I still only have  Routerstats and PN Protect running, still no sound, sidebar, Aero, touchpad doesn't currently scroll, I'll restore services and reboot once BT find the intermittent line fault.
SP1, a great way to find problems on your PC  Cry
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

That's quite a blunder from Micro$oft from reading Jim's last link, Its helped me In my decision  to stay using Linux, I have been toying with It for a while and after reading this, I am off, Its simply not acceptable for your £150.00 any more, Plus Its much sharper than windows any way.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Steve
Linux .... Its much sharper than windows any way.

Yes, unfortunately I cut myself on the sharp edges every time I try to use Linux.
nadger
Rising Star

My SP1 upgrade was 71Mb and so far no problems  Smiley
Not applicable

Well, I bit the bullet last night and set it going at about 8 pm - thought I'd never get to bed!  It seemed to take for ever, despite it only being about 80 MB and my connection being a good one for speed.  Anyway, it's on now and no ill-effects.  Did the IE9 this morning and that's OK too (although I never use it). Can now breathe a sigh of relief but what's all the fuss about?  All seems the same to me!  Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

SP1 installed yesterday as well - no problem.
Out of interest I ran bandwidth Monitor while doing it and for at least 3/4 of the time it wasn't downloading but doing things on my computer
IE9 - i will wait for next month - I will be in serious bandwidth problems later  Sad
pnf
Grafter

Tonight's Microsoft Update includes a fix for the USB problem encountered in SP1.  See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2529073. ; This problem was highlighted earlier in this thread.
After installing the update on Windows 7 Home Premium x64, usbhub.sys in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ reports the version number as 6.1.7601.17586 (correct), however Device Manager still reports usbhub.sys as version 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090712-1255).  Something is still not quite right with all of this!