Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 RC dual boot - Vista user protected files

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Windows 7 RC dual boot - Vista user protected files

Just a heads up.
Running Windows 7 dual boot with Vista (both 64 bit but that probably isn't relevant) I wanted to access a folder on my Vista desktop from Windows 7 and I couldn't be bothered rebooting in Vista to move it to another drive. So I tried getting to it using Windows Explorer and of course it wasn't accessible. But to my surprise Windows 7 asked if I wanted to access it and when I agreed it overrode all the permissions so I had full access to the user protected files in the Vista partition.
This has major implications for shared user security.
6 REPLIES 6
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Windows 7 RC dual boot - Vista user protected files

Were you logged on as an administrator?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Logged on as the standard Windows 7 user account
samuria
Grafter

Yes it has its like ntfs for dos that can override security  and caused a stir in its day. What can happen here is that win7 can take ownership of the files and lock you out when you get  back to vista or screw the mtf tables the way it used to with win2k and NT. Was the permissions on the files etc set to everyone and have you got sharing on if so that could account for it. You shouldnt be able to access files in the vista admin profile from 7 give it a try
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I am not sure about the default Vista admin profile as I run my user account with full admin rights and that folder isn't shared
Looking at the security settings for the folder a new account has been added "Account unknown followed by a load of numbers"
Lurker
Grafter

The 'load of numbers' is the SID for the account you added access for in Windows 7.
TBH I'm not at all surprised that you could access the file - why wouldn't you be able to?
Its just a collection of bits on a volume, which just about anything with physical access can read.
If Vista isn't running, how would you expect it to communicate its preference that said files remain private?
David_W
Rising Star

It's done this since UAC and Vista.  I'd dual boot Vista x32/64 (don't ask) and want to get something from the other vista, UAC would fire up and alter permissions to allow me access.
If you go to Vista now though and look at the bottom it'll say "Shared with Unknown", so I think all its doing is adding a share.  If you want security though (wouldn't recommend it currently, not with 7 not being gold) you can turn on Bitlocker which will encrypt the folder, but then I wouldn't travel to the US, they would probably strip search you for having encrypted folders!