Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Professional & Anti Virus Protection

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Windows 7 Professional & Anti Virus Protection

Just loaded up a new copy of Windows 7 Professional, on a second laptop... and "Action Centre" is reporting ...

Windows did not find antivirus software on the computer        [Find a program on line}

However... If I put " Windows Defender " in the search box above the START ... it returns "Windows Defender"   and if I then  Right Click on it... and find " Go to file location".. there it is !  ..

So ... Two questions arise... Is windows defender active, and available, or

Do I need to get an "external" antivirus prog installed ?

31 REPLIES 31
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Windows 7 Professional & Anti Virus Protection

I had the same problem. I'm running Windows 7 and Windows Defender will not update at all, even after a couple of hours it just sits there with a spinny thing. In the end I gave up and went for AVG.

I'm beginning to wonder if they've given up on Defender in Windows 7.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Windows Defender is a program that Microsoft introduced (in October 2006) to combat spyware and other intrusions that Antivirus programmes did not deal with at that time. It was bundled with Windows 7.  It has been redundant in its functionality for some years because all antivirus programs have now expanded their remit to cover other forms of malware.

What you are looking for, I imagine, is Microsoft Security Essentials.  You will need to download and install this on Windows 7 as it was not bundled.   

You may have become confused because Microsoft Security Essentials is bundled with Windows 8 and 10 where it has been renamed Windows Defender.  

shutter
Community Veteran

@ReedRichards Thanks for the info..... yes,, probably confused... but then. it is Microsoft ! ! ..

Does it scan incoming and outgoing email on thunderbird  ?  because I have never seen anything on emails to the effect

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Avast scans email and is free.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I don't think MSE scans emails as they arrive and depart but (as with any other antivirus) it will not let you open a file attachment or attach a file that it recognises as infected.

The main advantage of MSE over Avast (and its ilk) is that it does not try to sell you 'extras' or make you re-register every year.

Messages on emails saying scanned by such-and-such are just advertising and should not be trusted by the recipient. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Why do people have this fixation about using free or inferior security software? Kaspersky Internet Security, rated one of the best, can be bought on Amazon for £13 for a single licence, dropping substantially in price if you have more than one computer, 3 licences for example cost £19, that's £6.33 per machine per year.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Why do people have this fixation about using free or inferior security software?

Why do people with common sense use Anti Virus?

Mav
Fixes: 514

@Anonymous

In my case belt and bracesWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mav - Well I'd guess you'd not be caught with your pants down!

Mav
Fixes: 514

NeverCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1  

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Why do people have this fixation about using free or inferior security software? Kaspersky Internet Security, rated one of the best, can be bought on Amazon for £13 for a single licence, dropping substantially in price if you have more than one computer, 3 licences for example cost £19, that's £6.33 per machine per year.

Daftest post I ever saw.....

Because it is FREE..... and it does the job....   If someone was offering your FREE ELECTRICITY... ( and I mean exactly that )... would you still pay EDF or Scottish Power... or whoever for the same stuff ?    Do you get "free" offers.... i.e. free entry tickets to places/events... but insist on paying an entry fee when you go there  ? 

CRAZY !..

I have been using FREE antivirus progs since AVG3 came out... ( and others along the way).. and have NEVER had any virus attack on my machines over the past 15 years or so... 

@Ipso facto... 15 years @ £13 per year = £195.00    and bear in mind... those licences were probably two or three times that much 15 yrs ago... so  

as the saying goes....... Do the math! ...

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Is there any need for the aggressive response? Tests show that there is a difference in performance against attack, with the paid for versions coming out best. If you don't believe it and happy to use the free stuff (or none at all)  then that's fine with me.

I, and many others, prefer to minimise the risks and spend 6 quid per device per year.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Same here, I have never used paid for AV
For as long as I have been online , and never been compromised 👍
Must be over 30+ years
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1 Nothing aggressive in my post.. only your imagination...

Having personally tested several of the top rated FREE one`s over the last 15 years. with no adverse effects or infections...

. I think the results show for themselves..