cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 New Service Pack

djflipside
Grafter

Windows 7 New Service Pack

Hi All not sure if anyone else has encountered any problems updating to the new windows 7 service pack, but it fails everytime.  I have tried the suggested close all programs and turn off security,  wanted to know if anyone else had this issue and how they got round it ?
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Windows 7 New Service Pack

New? Do you mean Service Pack 1 that came out in February?
That suggests you're not necessarily up to date; I'd make sure all recommended (and optional unless you REALLY don't want them) updates are applied first. And don't forget hardware-related ones too which are often categorized as optional.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Unless it's service pack 2 due in about 9 or 10 months Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
djflipside
Grafter

Yeah must be the feb one, i have been offline for a while, so its new to me,  all other udpates are up to date.  just wont install the service pack,  it keeps failing when installing ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could download the complete pack and install it manually
I suggest having a read here first http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817622%28WS.10%29.aspx
Download is here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/gg635126.aspx but if you are on Value I suggest doing it overnight
Further checks are here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505743
djflipside
Grafter

thanks will give it a try Smiley
iainmacmillan
Grafter

the cure is usually to download the full version, if your Update service method fails, just mind to d/l the correct version for your system -- 32bit or 64bit, and they are quite big, the 64bit one is nearly 1GB.
thewideeyedowl

Hi
I have given up on Windows 7 Service Pack because it will NOT configure on my laptop (Samsung 32-bit).  I first started trying to install it in May, then again in June, and again in August, and again and again - and every time the same thing happens.  The SP downloads. Tick. It installs (it says). Tick.  Then it has to configure in order to 'take' on the system.  It usually gets to about 8% and then sticks; once it got to 30% (Wow!).  But never ever more than that.  I have disabled Rapport and tried again, to no effect, so have re-enabled Rapport; the same with my anti-virus (Avast Home Edition) but it does not make the slightest difference.  Have browsed the MS support forums and found that there are others out there - lots of others - that have also encountered this problem.  The wretched SP just will not 'take'.
Having wasted many many hours on this over the last few months, I have decided to give up on the SP.  My system seems to be working well, all other programs are up-to-date, and I have all the other Windows updates - none of which has caused any problems.  It's just this Service Pack... :'(.
Each time I have tried to get this SP, it has had to download itself again - so where does it go? 
I use the Firefox browser, but have the latest IE on my system.
Are there any solutions to this problem, apart from forgetting about the SP?!
Thank you
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you looked at the links in Jim's reply #4?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I also found that manually installing and running the 'System Update Readiness Tool' was necessary:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

^_^ Really Important.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.