Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Network Connections

Starks
Dabbler

Windows 7 Network Connections

Morning all,
I have a frustrating problem with a new laptop.
On the new laptop (Acer 5750G) I get a really slow internet connection...
D/L - 0.56mb/s
U/L - 0.37 mb/s
Ping - 53ms
However on another W7 laptop I get the following connection...
D/L - 5.68mb/s
U/L - 0.37 mb/s
Ping - 43ms
I've sat with both laptops on and compared each of the settings in turn and they match.
I've checked for a new driver for the broadcom network adaptor and there isn't one. I was advised to disable the IPV6 option as that might cause some confusion but that hasn't helped.
Networks aren't really my thing and I'm all out of ideas.
Any help/advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Windows 7 Network Connections

Does your router have any speed capping on the lan side?  I would check that the IP of the slow laptop isn't being capped by the router, switch them over unless you are using DCHP and see what happens
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Starks
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply, excuse my ignorance but how would I go about checking things like that?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The same place you disabled IPv6, Control panel / Network sharing center then Change adapter settings.  In the IPv4 section of Properties it will either have Obtain IP address automatically or manually if you are not using DCHP.
If manually Note the IP address for the working laptop and then disable its lan connection.  If they are wired then just unplug the Cat5 cable from the laptop or if wireless you will need to Disable it.
Then on the laptop that doesn't work repeat that but change the IP address it uses in the IPv4 section for the working laptops, then see if it helps.  If it does then check you routers manual for a QOS/Rate limit option and disable it.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I would be inclined to suspect that the network adaptor on your new laptop is faulty.  "Broadcom" sounds like the wired adaptor rather than wireless.  What happens if you use the other (i.e. if wired, wireless or vice versa)?  The other thing to do would be to connect to another router and see if the problem persists - maybe you have a friend or neighbour who would let you try this.
Starks
Dabbler

Thanks again gents.
Ok, I've checked and the IP address is a automically obtained automatically.
The Broadcom network adaptor (an 802.11n) is the wireless adpator and is working proprtly (accoring to Windows).
I'm away in Germany with work next week and I know the hotel provides wirless internet access so I'll take the laptop with me and give it a go there to so if is any better, failing that I'll try connecting to a family members router.
Starks
Dabbler

Ok, I'm in the hotel in Germany and have just got a speedtest result of 4.46mb so even I can work out that the problem must be something to do with my home network.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Starks, did we establish what make and model of router you are using?  I can't see any mention of it. 
Starks
Dabbler

That would now be useful information.
I know it's a dlink but the actual model is something that I cannot remmeber at the moment. I'll be back in blighty on Friday so I'll have a look then and post the details here.
Starks
Dabbler

Ok, the router is a D-Link DSL G624T.
Interestingly when I first went online this morning I was getting speeds of 5.5MB then all of a sudden everything slowed right down and I'm now. 0.29MB

From waht I can find the firmware for the router is up to date.
Any ideas?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Starks
Any ideas?

Reset the router to factory settings, re-enter your Plusnet user name & password, re-establish your wireless security settings and try again.
Starks
Dabbler

Oh the wonderful world of computers, before I got to reseting the router I thought I'd give it another go and without changing anything I have consistently got this sort of result for the last few days...

Thanks for the suggestions