Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Marketing

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Windows 7 Marketing

Just got an email from Misco; apparently they want me to pay
£65 or £150 or £170 for W7 (home), W7 Professional E, W7 Ultimate E respectively.
Apparently, these are especially cheap prices Cheesy
But strangely enough, only the "home" version won't run XP programs - although the really pricey ones claim to.
It's going to make the sale of bare PC's (no OS preloaded) very lucrative - with the consumer getting some of the benefit. Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

22 REPLIES 22
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Re: Windows 7 Marketing

From M$ blog
I’d like to take a moment to clarify what Windows XP Mode is designed for, and highlight the point that in many cases Windows XP Mode will not be necessary. Windows 7 has a strong compatibility story with Windows Vista, and many applications that currently run on Windows XP-based or Windows Vista-based PCs should just run natively on Windows 7 – allowing you to take advantage of better performance, better management and better security built into Windows 7. In most cases, we recommend running applications natively in Windows 7. Windows XP Mode provides what we like to call that “last mile” compatibility technology for those cases when a Windows XP productivity application isn’t compatible with Windows 7

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/default.aspx
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Crucibleofevil
£65 or £150 or £170 for W7 (home), W7 Professional E, W7 Ultimate E respectively.
Apparently, these are especially cheap prices ...

A retail copy of Windows XP cost(s) in excess of £150.  If these are retail copies then they are cheap by Microsoft's standards. 
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Crucibleofevil
It's going to make the sale of bare PC's (no OS preloaded) very lucrative

Like this one http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=33518&category_id=491&manufacturer_id=0&tid=
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: ReedRichards
A retail copy of Windows XP cost(s) in excess of £150.  If these are retail copies then they are cheap by Microsoft's standards. 

I'm amazed that anyone is stupid enough to pay these prices for Vista-with-a-service-pack!  Cheesy

The_10th
Grafter

Isn't it good to know XP is supported until April 2014?!  Smiley
Having the XP compatibility mode rings alarms bells for me. It is implying that backwards compatibility can't be guaranteed. I would have thought this 'feature' should be on all Windows 7 versions and at least instill some confidence in running older software.
BTW Strat, congrats on the promotion to mod!  Cool (haven't been in here for a loooong time)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: The
It is implying that backwards compatibility can't be guaranteed.

Well it isn't.
The XP mode is actually a virtual machine solution. I've tried it and it works reasonably well. There are complaints about limitations as to what it will run on, suggesting various "motives".  Undecided
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: The
... It is implying that backwards compatibility can't be guaranteed...

In my opinion the market for computer peripherals and software makes use of a lack of backwards compatibility.  Every time a new version of Windows is released, a quantity of older hardware and software will not run on it and is rendered obsolete.  Microsoft do not include a 'backwards compatibility mode' in Windows and the manufacturers do not bother to produce compatible hardware drivers or software updates.  The XP mode in some versions of Windows 7 is as near to a backwards compatibility mode as Microsoft have ever come.   
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: HPsauce
The XP mode is actually a virtual machine solution. I've tried it and it works reasonably well. There are complaints about limitations as to what it will run on, suggesting various "motives".  Undecided

Well it makes it even easier.more sense to use Virtualbox under Linux then, you get the "same" features with XP running in a VM, without shelling out £££ for a service pack.You can install XP in a VM and save the state (like hibernate) and it starts up in SECONDS. I only rarely use it these days to convert an ebook that calibre won't do using one of the Amber converters. (and it will run in 384Mb ram allocated to it).
I really think that M$ are backing themselves into a corner on this one, Linux offers better "Eye Candy" via Compiz and for the majority of people all they need are 'net access & email. Why pay 100's of £ for that? Crazy
VileReynard
Hero

And Linux is backwards compatible. Smiley
Sorry - couldn't resist saying it.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you run XP under a Virtualbox don't you still need a Windows license
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Of course you do.
But it will soon get rather upset if it's not legit. Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and apparently trying it with an existing license will make the original installation illegal
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Not if it on the same hardware, or if you have a FULL license.
So if you buy a Dell/Acer/WHY with a OEM license, you are FULLY entitled to run XP in a VM ON THAT MACHINE. (As long as you aren't running the XP to do so)
So you have a pc, with a valid license, you can install linux, run a VM and put XP on it.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Just read this from MS and thought it might be useful.  If I've posted in the wrong place would a Mod please move it?

We have now decided to alter that launch plan. In the wake of last week’s developments, as well as continuing feedback on Windows 7 E that we have received from computer manufacturers and other business partners, I’m pleased to report that we will ship the same version of Windows 7 in Europe in October that we will ship in the rest of the world. 
Shortly after new Windows PCs are set up by the user, Microsoft will update them over the Internet with a consumer ballot software program. If IE is the default browser, the user will be presented with a list of other leading browsers and invited to select one or more for installation. Technically, this consumer ballot screen will be presented as a Web page that can be updated over time as new browsers become available.
Here is how it would look: