cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Killing Laptop Batteries

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Windows 7 Killing Laptop Batteries

I got a used ebay laptop - My Dv9702 - When I got it, the wear level on the battery was 43% - Now,  4 weeks later, its 81%. Theres a really big thing on MS Technet about this, but I Just want to find out if anyone else is having this problem? - My battery lasts 30mins now.  Cry . Anyone know how to fix this? ( I dont want to buy a new battery)
Many Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Windows 7 Killing Laptop Batteries

Windows 7 supposedly reports the battery condition more accurately as previous versions reported it in better health than it really was. Google has plenty of background reading.
zubel
Community Veteran

Not that it helps, but I regularly get 5 hours out of my EeePC 1000H battery, running Win7.
In fact, it's now 18 months old, and I still get exactly the same runtime on batteries as to when it was new.
B.
win7xp
Grafter

I would suggest that you cut your losses and move it on asap as the HP DV9000 series laptops have a well documented and expensive to fix motherboard graphic card problem.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Ive already had the motherboard problem...and had it fixed (for a price). The technet discussion continues into part 10 -
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/8a74c53b-406f-4ce6-a1ae-da1d...

Im sure Microsoft are aware of the problem - I wonder when they are going to release a update or something, as I have a idential laptop to the dv9700 running vista, and the battery lasts as long as the day i bought it.
I wonder why that is?
Denzil
Grafter

As it is second hand you don't know how well the previous owner has looked after it. Rechargeable batteries do have a lifespan, but it can be variable. Some fail quicker than others. New batteries aren't that expensive, anyway.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Amanha
I have a idential laptop to the dv9700 running vista, and the battery lasts as long as the day i bought it.

What happens if you switch the batteries between the two identical laptops?  That would tell you if you have a bad battery or a bad version of Windows. 
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Ive checked that. My battery is quite dead. I dont know why it does that though....by the looks of it to only upgraded machines?
jim:quote
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

To clarify, so it's really just a dead battery and nothing to do with Windows 7???