Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Home Premium, UPDATE problem

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Windows 7 Home Premium, UPDATE problem

@ReedRichards Yes indeedy !... left it running on "update checking" last night,, (had been running a couple of hours before I went to bed at midnite)... came down this morning, and it had "auto switched off",... so pressed the power switch to wake it up at 0800, and it started to show "Checking for updates"   still running 2 hours later ! ! !..

I remember when I put a new HDD in this machine and installed W7Pro, it took forever to search for the updates.. then took me forever and a couple of days to get them installed... ( minus the W10 updater )...! !...

Understand about those "fake utils"... however, I am "savvy" about them trying to tell me that I need to purchase a licence or something to get their " fixes " fixed!... so just use them for the basic quality they offer, and then dump them... I use CCleaner on this machine, every day, and I have it installed on her machine... I used the other progs, "just to make sure", that as much junk and stuff was removed...  

I also use Malwarebytes  and Eusing Free Reg Cleaner...

I don`t have any problems with updates on my Win 7 Pro machine... as you say... keep up to date with the updates regularly, and it works fine...

Thanks for your input.

Update on the update ! ! ! .. ( you do not need to re-boot your computer )... after initial boot this morning, as previously mentioned, it only took about 15 seconds for FF to appear,.... all we need now is those updates  ! ! ! ..

delta777
Grafter

Slow update for Windows 7 is a known issue, here is one fix which may help:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3102810

Today I replaced a faulty hard drive on my brothers laptop and installed Windows Home Premuim. After the installation was complete I downloaded the above update file and manually installed it. Once done I set Windows to do a check for updates which took just a few minutes to find 233 updates. From experience I know that without manually doing that one particular update first that Windows would have taken several hours just to do the check for updates. Unfortunately the fix mentioned above doesn't seem to last and the check for updates can take longer and longer.

shutter
Community Veteran

@delta777   Clicked on the linky... and downoaded and burned the .iso file for win 7 sp1... and when i ran it, it reported it was already on here...  there are other files in a list... and I downloaded all of them,... but not sure what/which one to click on, in ref to your posting... do i have to "install" them all ... (X86 showing against Program Files, so presume those are the ones to use) but in what order... or does it matter ? ? ? ?

delta777
Grafter

Your Windows 7 will be either 32 bit or 64 bit which can be found from Control panel / All Control Panel Items / System

My PC shows:

System Type:   64-bit Operating System

In my case in the list in  following link I would download the update for 'All supported x-64 versions of windows 7'

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3102810

If the instead this was the case:

System Type:   32-bit Operating System

download the update for 'All supported x-86 versions of windows 7'

When downloading the update the file should be saved and not opened. In my case the downloaded file is:

Windows6.1-KB3102810-x64.msu

Move the file to C:\

On the start menu in accessories locate the command prompt, right click on it and select 'Run as admnistrator'

At the command prompt enter the commands:

cd ../..

wusa c:\Windows6.1-KB3102810-x64.msu

when finshed delete the file.

shutter
Community Veteran

Aha ... OK... Thanks for the noddy`s guide at the end.... much appreciated... Will have another go... ( got em all so just need to choos the right one ! ! !)

shutter
Community Veteran

Been there... done that... now its showing a small window with a "running bar"  entitled  Windows Update Standalone Installer and the famous words......

Searching for updates on this computer...

Time now 10:55 a.m.   Sunday Morning 12 June 2016 .... ..... .....   Watch this space......... ! 

shutter
Community Veteran

Well,   FOUR HOURS it has been running,.... and it still hasnt found the 41 updates that it had shown before,... (which failed to download/install when requested... so I started on them one by one,... but they have disappeared )...

So.. I used Microsoft "Fix-it"..... and no result... now going through some more hoops to see if I can figure something else to play with... 

trying  "Background Intelligent Transfer Service troubleshooter.......

And it has come up with...

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Troubleshooting has completed

Troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix all of the issues found. You can find out more details below,

Problems Found

Service registration is missing or corrupt                                        Not fixed                     X ( white cross in red circle).

Explore additional options

close the troubleshooter.

View detailed information.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

shutter
Community Veteran

been through a couple more "troubleshooters" and one said it had fixed the registration.. so I rebooted, and run Windows update......  still checking for updates on line ! ! ..

Petard
Rising Star

I have been having the same problem these last two months. Windows Update was never quick, but it's now impossible – this on a Dell Inspiron desktop running Windows 7 SP1, which I had been patching every month (manually, avoiding the nagware).

I've searched the Web, and it seems many others are seeing the same thing. It is not therefore a problem with individual machines. It's either Microsoft's software or its servers. Some people wonder if this is not yet another ploy to drive people to Windows 10.

For about a year, I have been running the machine dual boot, with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS in another partition. Ubuntu is a bit less slick than Windows, but it proved easy to install, is quite adequate unless you need a package that runs only under Windows – and it patches itself in a few minutes. If you want to keep your machine running without hassle, it may be worth considering.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Petard Thanks for the input.... the machine has been "searching for updates online" since I posted yesterday.... It shut itself down, sometime during the night,  ( don`t know why cos it shouldn`t have , according to the settings..... ) and on "wake up" this morning... it was still searching... so I have shut down, and am not going to bother with anymore updates, as she doesn`t really do any "serious" stuff on the net... as mentioned in the original post.... 

I had considered putting Linux Mint 17 on it... but will leave it "as is" for now... and only do that if Windows fails

Thanks to all who contributed... as usual... much appreciated.

Wink

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@shutter

I have had similar problems in the past with seriously out of date machines, the first thing to do is to run msconfig.exe select the services tab then tick the box marked "hide all Microsoft" and then uncheck everything else, and click apply then ok and restart.

after that go to add/remove programs and uninstall the various security type stuff and  then go through the system reboots and then run the update checker once the OS is up to date then you can go to the various security software websites download and run the removal tool followed by reboot and redownload of the software you want to keep.

the problems are too many things all trying to work at the same time, all 3rd party software trying to check for updates (hogging system service resources and blocking the os updates from being able to run) the same thing used to happen on win xp and vista although its not so bad under 8.1 or 10...

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for that...

Have sent you a pm... and have re-read your post,... so maybe I will "have a go" later on today.. ( going out this morning)..

Worst case scenario is I mess up Windows completely, and have to install Linux Mint 17 ... or an unregistered copy of Win 7 pro... !

Wink

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

shutter, might be worth reading through this thread:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Can-t-access-Windows-7-updates-stuck-a...

and especially following the links mentioned in Post #35.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

My Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 monthly updates have been taking hours to apply. This month's stuck on searching for updates even when left overnight.

I experimented with various solutions to no avail.

Then, after installing KB 3161664, things have started to work again. Not proof that this is why things started working but worth a try.

http://www.askwoody.com/2016/win7-users-install-kb-3161664-to-speed-up-windows-update-scans/

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS16-073

Scribe
Grafter

Yep, KB3161664 is this month's fix for WU taking forever and running the CPU at 50%.

You need to manually download it from https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS16-073

Note that you must stop WU first. To do that, press Windows key + R then in the Run box, type ‘services.msc’ (without the quotes) and click OK, now in the Services window, look for ‘Windows Update’ click on it once, then at the top of the pane on the left, click ‘Stop the service.’ You can now close Services and start the download - which should only take a few mins. Win Updates will probably restart automatically afterwards, but if not, just go back into Services, click ‘Windows Update’ then ‘Start the service’ at top left.