Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 - Feedback

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Windows 7 - Feedback

My Netgear WG111T works fine with the normal Vista drivers.
David_W
Rising Star

MuppetGrinder - Yep, its the exe that when it tries to install the drivers runs an OS check to make sure its the right one (i.e. Vistax64) and when that fails it says "unsupported OS!" only in worse English.
@ Bob - you should be able to use the normal .ini files for network cards, its how I got my wireless to work, then Windows updated the drivers online
So far Vista drivers do work, so the underlying base for 7 really is Vista, only on a diet and steriods!  There are a lot of drivers on Windows Update, but getting onto Windows Update without a network driver is an issue that you can only solve by going to Windows Update..... gah!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I haven't access to the .ini files though. The X64 Vista drivers on Voyager's website come as a single executable. Neither have I got a Vista install to copy the drivers from a la the information here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Bob, you tryed opening the .exe with winrar?  It can open a lot of .exe files and let you extract their contents, admitedly not every .exe file works, but drivers are normaly accessable, I double checked it would work in 7 by opening my HP print driver installer, this might work for you too dgwebb
David_W
Rising Star

The BT Voyager exe opens with winrar but its just dll files, no driver files.  As for me, I'll try getting it to work before I go to bed, then figure out how much stuff I can install on my puny 80 gig hard drive Sad  I got the laptop for my college work, and so far all I've done is try different operating systems on it Cheesy
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Managed to locate a Thomson TG123g wireless adapter so I'll give that a blast tonight...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Bob
Managed to locate a Thomson TG123g wireless adapter so I'll give that a blast tonight...

Installed flawlessly although I did have to run it in Vista compatibility mode.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

MuppetGrinder
Grafter

just had to plug in and download the wirless drivers for the good lady's lappy.  She's been peering over my shoulder scepticly since I installed this and the opertunity to say "I told you it's crap" may have just gotten too much Smiley
Wireless is onboard RaLink 2500.
scootie
Grafter

just installed. which was nice and quick. got my wg111v2 adapter going. but stuck on my firewall comodo first had to install in vista compat mode looked good program loads but no traffic is being picked up by comodo no prompts to let programs talk nothing. the only prompt i got was the auto dection of new network since then nothing.
what free firewalls have you guys managed to get working?
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

none, just running the windows gash just now.  It's had a nice little upgrade to it letting you choose different settings and exceptions for both local and internet.  Have nottived that the memory controler in this is lacking though, I can get up to 100% CPU usage and still have only peaked mem usage at 52% (this is on both the hard install with 2GB and the virtual install with 1GB.
on another note, I got MSN working just fine, downloaded it, installed it and signed in. not a hitch (except tht I don't actualy use it for anything).
scootie
Grafter

gave the kaspesky beta a go. god i hate those programs pure over kill. might give windows firewall a looking over then. usally turned it off the moment ive booted a fresh install of windows.
David_W
Rising Star

Kaspersky is one of the best, it solves both the need for a firewall and anti-virus with a small memory footprint.  I've been using it on Vista with an uptime of almost 8 hours and its still only using 32MB.  It also blocks really annoying adverts, can protect your registry etc.  You can set it to learning mode which blocks everything unless you say "yeah, allow that", its really great!  Plus Kaspersky allow you to upgrade to the latest version for free Cheesy
/edit - another bug.  I did run a triple boot, Vista/2008/SuSE.  Vista/08 were on my one SATA hard drive, Suse on an IDE drive.  I first installed 7 on my IDE and couldn't find the option for 7 in my boot loader.  Fair enough I figured, Suse can't seem to install Grub onto the proper partition either, so I just used F12 to select that hard drive at start and it worked fine.  Today though I installed 7 onto my Server 08 partition, again really fast installation, its almost a pleasure.  Anyhow the bootloader (Microsofts) again didn't add Windows 7 to the boot loader, Windows Server 2008 is still the boot option there which does start Windows 7.  It may be because the boot loader came from Server 08, I don't know, but I've left feedback (do you think they read these things?) that the boot loader is broke.  it also restarted this time after installing nvidia drivers from windows update.
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Try running msconfig and editing the boot.ini text to reflect the changes
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Tried it out, installed without a hitch, but failed to find drivers for my lappys soundcard, and graphics chipset.  It appears to like the XP drivers for the cound, but refused to do anything with the graphics XP drivers. Searched high and low, but cannot find vista drivers for the 82852/82855 GM/GME chipset, anyone know of a workaround.  Also 2 out of the 3 USB ports refused to work, although 1 also refuses to work under XP, but be damaged.  Anyhow can work around this, but also cant get ,my 3com CRWE154G72 wireless card to work.  Appears to install the XP drivers, but no joy at all. If I could find drivers for the graphics chipset, and wireless card I would use this OS all the time, as it seems quite snappy.  I suspect basically my lappys hardware is too old, its a tosh satellite 1130-Z24.
If anyone can help, I would be grateful.  Back on XP now ( installed 7 on a spare lappy drive I had!!)
scootie
Grafter

did windows update not offer any updates for your hardware?.
my ati radeon hd 3450 graphics card got an update.
noticed that media player 12 dosent have graphic equalizer or SRS wow effect. my sub woofer isnt happy about it  Sad