cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 E Abandoned

Not applicable

Windows 7 E Abandoned

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/264655/microsoft-abandons-windows-7-e-edition-for-europe.html
Apparently those who have ordered the E European version will have their purchase honoured and receive the full version.
Customers will now be able to upgrade rather than perform a clean install as is the case with the E version.
Personally, I'd rather have the E one and do a clean install.
22 REPLIES 22
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Re: Windows 7 E Abandoned

I too would rather have the E version (which I've pre-ordered) than what is now being proposed - I will have to do a clean install anyway as I am presently using XP.
From what I understand from the M$ blog referred to in the pcpro article ( http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2009/07/31/windows-7-and-browser-choice-in-e... ), I will now receive a version with IE8 installed by default but which will present me soon after install with a "ballot" screen allowing me to download, install and use by default and alternative browser BUT NOT REMOVE IE8 from the machine, and from past experience of IE I suspect I may never be able to remove it.
Cliff
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: poppy
Personally, I'd rather have the E one and do a clean install.

Absolutely.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Never mind perhaps the EU will fine M$S more than its development cost
Not applicable

I have to confess that I too have pre-ordered Windows 7 although I have not used the RC and I didn't think that I would bother.
What swayed me was the price - I ordered it from PC World for forty-odd pound a month or so ago for several reasons:
It had good reviews.
The price was good and I knew that it would be a lot more to upgrade at a later date.
The main reason was that it was the full version - I hate this upgrade and recovery disk business. When I used desktops I always had them made up and had the full XP disk.  It is the one thing that I don't like about laptops - they never seem to give you the proper disk.
I am looking forward to getting W7 because with a clean install I will be able to set my laptop up just as I want it and can then get my dual boot with Linux spot on.
As I understand it, those of us who have pre-ordered the E version will receive it as Microsoft are honouring the deal. Probably they don't have any option as they would be in breach of contract if they didn't supply it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think those who ordered E will receive the full version for the same price - that was what the rest of the world was getting all along.
You can remove IE8 from Windows 7 using the add remove windows components link
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Oldjim
I think those who ordered E will receive the full version for the same price - that was what the rest of the world was getting all along.

All of Europe received the same treatment.  In the US and Canada the pre-order offer was for an upgrade version at a lower price than Europe paid.  But a full version is better than an upgrade version.  As I understand it, you can transfer a full version to a new computer if, for example, your old one dies but, under the terms of the Microsoft licence agreement, an upgrade version is tied to the computer you first install it on. 
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Oldjim
You can remove IE8 from Windows 7 using the add remove windows components link

Well, why don't $MS simply instruct all OEM's to do this?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

OEM's don't have to, they can ship with whatever browser(s) they want.
The EC problems are related to standard consumer products bought separately from a PC.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Unless they have changed the rules since Vista I don't believe that is the case.
In the License it only differentiates between a normal retail licence and a Windows Anytime Upgrade which is where you purchase an upgrade between products in the same family. For example from Vista Home Premium  to Vista Ultimate. This isn't the same as from XP to Vista for example.
Certainly I transferred XP upgrade licenses without any problem.
15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.
     a.   Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade.    You may uninstall the software and
install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between
devices.
     b.   Windows Anytime Upgrade Software.    The first user of the software may reassign the
license to another device one time, but only if the license terms of the software you upgraded
from allows reassignment.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Maybe you are right, Oldjim.  But you could not use an upgrade licence on a new computer (or an old computer that had not previously run Windows) without breaching the Microsoft terms and conditions, even if you know how to fiddle the installation to get it to work.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Actually since Microsoft specifically allowed an upgrade to Vista on a clean machine that isn't really true.
Also the earlier versions from XP backwards you didn't need to have the old operating system installed just put in the old install disk at the point in the install program where it requested it.
Note - to use a Vista upgrade disk on a clean install is very simple - just install it without putting in the key and then install again over the top of it this time putting in the key. They allowed this because the previous system of putting in the old install disk wasn't allowed.
Also upgrading from XP 32 bit to Vista 64 bit there is no way on earth I would try an upgrade install.
randpwar
Grafter

May I ask what W7 is likely to give that Vista doesn’t? But just to explain my question a bit; I upgraded from an old W98 pc to a Vista Dual Core thingy about a year ago and I am incredibly impressed. It does absolutely everything that I’ve ever asked it to do but my needs are pretty simple. I use internet and email (of course), put music and photos on to it, burn cd’s, copy films and do the household documents bit. I find it extremely easy to find any file of any type, its good user friendly stuff. I’m very aware, however, of how unpopular Vista is. So, given that it does all I need it to do, and does it well, what improvements are there in W7 that I’m likely to benefit from? 
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Not much if you have a fairly powerful machine and don't push it too much.
Not applicable

Well, I'm more confused about the license issue than ever. I wish there was a simple, concise explanation of what is to be expected from each version. I was told that even with a full copy of Windows Microsoft will query if it is reinstalled/reactivated too often.
Linux seems straightforward in comparison, even with the large number of distros.
Agree with randpwar - Vista has been no bother to me either and does all I want, although don't ask much of it.
Only fancy W7 because of the full disk version, and also for the experience I suppose.