Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Disk

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Windows 7 Disk

If you are in the market for a new computer does it not make more sense to purchase one without Windows 7 and then purchase a Windows 7 Disk from a reputable source.
Clearly you will pay more for this but the convenience of having it on disk rather than a copy on a partition of your hard drive which can easily pack up without warning is worth the additional cost of the disk ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Windows 7 Disk

also you don't get an OEM version so you can move it if you change computers
picbits
Rising Star

I have three retail copies of Win7 which I use when I do the "machine shuffle" in here - I only ever use two licenses at any one time.
I think it does make sense if you build your own machines or move them around quite often.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It is (or was) relatively easy to create your own Windows 7 disc by downloading the ISO file from the Digital River site.  Of course, you still need a product key to make use of it. 
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I've often wondered how small computer businesses do windows effectively because if you go and buy it from a shop you're usually looking at several £hundred.
Somehow small businesses manage to do it for a lot less including hardware. Now I know they can OEM it and throw in a licence but as I understood it the licences were only made available to specific retailers.
So how would the little man like me go about building systems and getting a genuine OS / licence on it cheaply?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@7up: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/index.aspx#fbid=b2k_10vvjzw (this is for W8 but has links/info for W7)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: 7up
Somehow small businesses manage to do it for a lot less including hardware. Now I know they can OEM it and throw in a licence but as I understood it the licences were only made available to specific retailers.

No, OEM copies of Windows are readily available from many legitimate sources.  All legitimate OEM discs will come with a product key/COA.  If you read the terms of the Microsoft Licence agreement it gets very complicated about who can legitimately use an OEM copy and how - but in practice I doubt that Microsoft would take action against any hobbyist or small business who uses an OEM disc on a self-built computer. 
jackwelland
Dabbler

Quote from: gleneagles
If you are in the market for a new computer does it not make more sense to purchase one without Windows 7 and then purchase a Windows 7 Disk from a reputable source.
Clearly you will pay more for this but the convenience of having it on disk rather than a copy on a partition of your hard drive which can easily pack up without warning is worth the additional cost of the disk ?

i bought a barebones system(no os) and after a few months of dillying and dallying i took the plunge an bought an OEM WIN7 64 bit and installed it last wednesday, up to now having just teething problems but winning the battle.
saving around £60, the difference between oem and retail win7.
i do have a medion oem disk which has been installed on two machines(not at the same time though) and in fact have  two HDDs on an ancient advent with the same xp installed.
i'm no expert but did take a lot of good advice from various forums which gave me the confidence and knowledge to "have a go".
i hope this is helpful to you.
jack
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

A "partly interesting" thread.... Partly interesting, because the information is only a part of the interesting bit.... in other words...
Where can one buy a legal copy (with product key0 of Win 7 32 bit for the least amount of money ?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Ebuyer for starters.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks, Strat.  Wink
jackwelland
Dabbler

Quote from: shutter
A "partly interesting" thread.... Partly interesting, because the information is only a part of the interesting bit.... in other words...
Where can one buy a legal copy (with product key0 of Win 7 32 bit for the least amount of money ?

google it ---make comparisons and then go to amazon is how i got my win disk.
i was a bit wary as there is no microsoft support with OEM disks but then that's what the forums are for when problems arise.
go for it and best of luck.
jack
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: ReedRichards
It is (or was) relatively easy to create your own Windows 7 disc by downloading the ISO file from the Digital River site.  Of course, you still need a product key to make use of it. 

So.... If I download an .iso file  for (say) Win 7 Home Premium ...... and burn it.... can I use a Win 7 Starter product code? or does it have to be a Win 7 Home Premium code?  to activate it and "make it leagal" ?