cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Blue-Screening

Mav
Fixes: 514

Windows 7 Blue-Screening

Actually, I never see the BSOD but the report after a reboot shows that it happened.
It's usually when I have got IE8 open but unsure if it is connected to that.
What happens is that it crashes with the screen going blank (no error message) and I hear one of the fans in the case suddenly get louder. Checking the temps after a reboot shows no problems (CPU 47C, MB 34C CPU fan 3292rpm)
I have an ASUS M4N78 MB, Phenom 940 Black with 4 GB RAM and Sapphire 4850 512MB Graphics, 5 internal HDD (boot drive is new) and 4 external but it still happens if the external drives are off.
Running windows 7 64 bit. Have heard that Java 6 Version 17 (64 bit) installed and have read bits that it can cause problems.
Pretty sure it's not hardware related.
Has anyone else experience similar and resolved it?
Edit: Also notice that I have to re-enter login details to this forum, the portal and others even though Cookies are accepted and I click on the Remember or such like options when logging in.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Windows 7 Blue-Screening

cough  Embarrassed - use Firefox
more seriously is it IE8 64 bit or 32 bit
David_W
Rising Star

Power issue?  With that sort of set up you should be using a really beefy PSU to power it all, though does the logs give any indication as to what's causing it?
Mav

Doubt if it is a power issue; Replaced the power supply last year with a beefy 750W at around £100.
It doesn't say 64bit in IW8 About ... so I assume it is 32 bit. Was surprised as I expected it to have been 64bit installed with the OS.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yeah - I have the 32 bit version as well and it is very slow to open up - about 20 secs showing connecting which is very odd as the home page is about:blank
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Just tried this and it fixed the slow start problem - may be worth a try
1. Click Start, please type “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter to open the Internet options window.
2. Switch to the Advanced tab.
3. Click the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" button.
4. Click Reset to confirm the operation.
5. Click Close when the resetting process has finished.
6. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the Settings box.
7. Click Apply, click OK.
If the issue still occurs, please remove and installed toolbars.
Interesting point - going to addons I see that a load of addons have been disabled - so now will re-enable and see which was causing the problem
If you still have the problem it might be worth raising it here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro
Edit - it was the Java plugin doing the damage
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Windows 7 Blue-Screening

Might sound like a daft question, but do you get anything useful if you google the BSOD error number? This is assuming it's on screen long enough to see it 😕
It'll be something like 0x0000009C
Mav

B*gg*r, never thought of doing that.
It's crashed around 3 times today - so far. Last two times I have not get any message when it's finished rebooting.
Usually there's a message window in the centre of the screen informing that a critical (or some such wording) occured. Clicking on an icon revelas more information including that it was a BSOD along with similar numbers you mention.
Next time it happens I'll check it out.
Wondering whether it's just the 64 bit version being unstable and whether to revert to 32 bit (beginning to miss XP a little now  :D).
There doesn't, at this point in time, seem any major reason to pursue the 64bit line.

Mav

I have now installed W7 32bit rather than 64 and am still getting the same random crashes as before - I think the only common factor is that I have IE8 open at the time but not neccesarily using it.
I still lose all website passwords previously entered (and, yes, I do have the option for W7 to remember them and also select the relevant boxes on the sites).
I don't always get a message detailing what happened but this is the result from the last time.
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
  OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 2057
Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode: 124
  BCP1: 00000000
  BCP2: 865208FC
  BCP3: 00000000
  BCP4: 00000000
  OS Version: 6_1_7600
  Service Pack: 0_0
  Product: 768_1

A search for Google BCCode 124 leads to potential driver issues but I have installed all the lastest drivers for the MB and graphics I can find from the manufacturers' websites.
Could it be an issue with IE8? I hated it under XP where it would randomly choose to save any jpgs too previously used folders and I would have to keep reselcting the correct one again. This still happens on and off.
Even typing this is problematic as I cannot now see what I am typing. For some reason it will not allow me to scroll to the bottom of the box.
I am thinking of uninstalling IE8 and trying with IE7 - has anyone else done this under W7?
I have installed Firefox but have to admit I am so used to IE that it seems very alien.
I think, though, I will use it exclusively for a few days to see if I still get any crashes.
Meanwhile, if anyone has any other ideas I'd be grateful.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Just use Firefox and stop wasting time with different versions of IE.
Can you cope with Bookmarks and "Favourites" being the same conceptual device?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

I have to agree with the evil one Wink I've been using a clean install of W7 64bit with Firefox for the past week with no significant problems and I have begun to wonder why I ever bothered to try dual booting with XP as I can't see me ever returning to it once all necessary software has been installed on W7 - and everything I've tried so far has worked.
The only problem I've encountered is crashing after coming out of "sleep mode", but with the speed of booting of W7 (compared with my installation of XP) I've stopped using it - just turn off the computer if I'm not going to use it for a while.
Mav

A new notice on the Flag icon appeared this morning:
Address a problem with NVIDIA nForce System Management Controller
NVIDIA nForce System Management Controller is not compatible with this version of Windows.

Could this have anything to do with my BSOD issue?
I've been to the nVidia website - performed their scan which has offered me a new driver (size 187MB). This is for the MB as the graphics is ATI.
Does anyone know how reliable updating this way is?
Edit: Now I am a little confused... Asus website states that my M4N78 uses nForce 720D (MCP78D) chipset and their latest download is version 15.37 for W7/Vists but dated back in June - it is this version that is installed.
The nVIDIA update is early Oct and version 15.49 but no mention of 720D in supported products (only 720a and 720i).

Mav

Quote from: Axisofevil
Just use Firefox and stop wasting time with different versions of IE.
Can you cope with Bookmarks and "Favourites" being the same conceptual device?

When I installed Firefox I hadn't re-installed the Favourites into IE8.
Now I have them reset in IE8 how do I import them into Firefox?
Edit: Found it - All imported OK.
Edit 2: But can't find a way of keeping the Bookmarks open constantly as in IE8. Is there a way?
Edit 3: Found that as well Embarrassed Cheesy