Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Back Up

southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Windows 7 Back Up

I have a new laptop that i haven't backed up yet.  Has anyone does this back up, I was wondering how long it takes and how many DVD's it takes.
5 REPLIES 5
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Windows 7 Back Up

If this is the writing of the recovery DVD's that the manufacturer ought to have given you, but is too tight-fisted then the answer is:-
1. 4 DVD's (for a Compaq) - includes a lot of HP rubbish.
2. It takes absolutely ages - best to do it when there is a very long film on TV
3. All my DVD's are RW ones - the extra cost for using many times isn't that great. However, these are unacceptable to Windows.
I had to make a special trip to buy a box of 5 DVD's - write once only.
If you use these disks in the future, they can be used to reset your laptop back to the condition it was in before you opened the box. Sad

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Denzil
Grafter

If it is for backing up your data, it depends on:
a) how much information you have to back up
b) how fast your DVD drive is
c) whether you just copy files and folders as they are, or use a compressed archive
etc, etc
Assuming everything you want to back up is in your "Documents" folder, right click on it and click Properties, and it will tell you how much data is in there, in MB. A single-sided DVD holds 4.7GB, or 4,800MB. Divide the size of the "Documents" by 4800, round it up to the next whole number, and you will know how many DVDs you need.
southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks, it is for the recovery DVD's that you don't seem to get with new computers now.  I had a feeling it was going to take ages and I keep putting it off.  PC World wanted to charge £15 for doing it, along with more money for virus protection and an office package.  I declined them all.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Use Open Office. It's free.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Denzil
Grafter

Yep, OpenOffice is good. There are plenty of good free applications out there, so check them out before parting with money for anything. Try Avast or Comodo for good free antivirus.