Did you mean: 

Windows 11 Windows 10 networking

FIXED
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Windows 11 Windows 10 networking

Hi guys 

I've just bought a mini computer which naturally runs Windows 11 and have an existing Windows 10 computer I've got them both connected to the internet via homeplugs but they won't communicate with each other.

I've been trying to set Discovery up on each with no success.

The old Windows 10 machine was previously part of a home network but this doesn't seem an option on the latest Windows 11

Any help appreciated

Peter

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
16 REPLIES 16
thackie2015
Dabbler

Re: Windows 11 Windows 10 networking

I have a similar set up and this is how I achieved "networking" . Likewise the Window 10 machine was part of a home network 

Ensure both (all devices) are connected to the same network.

Windows 11 - Settings - Network & Internet 

Network is set to private This gave a message "Your device is discoverable on the network. Select this if you need filesharing or use apps that communicate over this network

Windows 10 - Settings - Status - Network Status - Network Properties 

Network is set to private This gave a message "Your device is discoverable on the network. .............

Restarted both devices  Network icon shows in File Explore with individual devices showing when network icon clicked.

You may need to enter your network credentials in my case it is my computer log in details

Hope that helps

PeterLoftus
Pro

thanks for your assistance @thackie2015 

I have had partial success, I've created a folder on my windows 10 machine which is accessible to the windows 11 machine and transferred a complete folder of documents which is useful but a long way from using my old machine as a file server?!

There is a option on both machines to connect with remote desktop connection but I have a password problem.

My problem I think stems from Microsoft's aggressive softwear marketing. I have been using Google to control my passwords but when loading Windows 11 again  and again there was a prompt saying do you want to change to Microsoft?! so I think I have  clicked the wrong box and have one machine set up using Google and one machine set up using Microsoft.

I am considering reconfiguring my new Windows 11 computer making sure I avoid Microsoft and using Google unless anybody has a more elegant solution?

Thanks in advance 

Peter

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
PeterLoftus
Pro

Hi guys

I haven't moved on from my last post. I think I am missing something?

I can access my old computer using the double backslash \\ and computer name but there is a limited number of directories and folders I can set up?

I can get access to such as "users"  but when I try to give permission to \c it appears in network but I get a popup saying windows cannot access (computer name)\c ?

any insights?

thanks in advance

Peter

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
thackie2015
Dabbler

Hi,

Not sure if this will help but on the basis of sharing experience:

Starting from the Win 11 device I use File  Explorer  this shows Home - This PC -Disk D, Disk E, Network <nameofdevicewin10> <then lists folders>

I guess from what you say you are not seeing that kind of structure ?  I assume both machines are on the same network.  Again assume you must have access to the "other device" as you have created (?) folders.

So thoughts can you check the properties - security settings for the folders you wish to access. the security tab should have list of users and below the access rights granted to that user. On our network the win10 machine has a user (in the security tab) HomeUsers (the old home work group users) this is set to full access. All folders so set appear in File Explorer as described above. 

Thackie

thackie2015
Dabbler

This link may help as it seems to cover most scenarios  

https://www.minitool.com/news/windows-11-workgroup-not-showing-all-network-computers.html 

PeterLoftus
Pro

Hi All

my success to date is that I have got my Documents folder on my (old) Windows 10 machine accessible from my  (new) Windows 11 Machine by attending to my sharing permissions on the old machine.

My problem is now that I have three folders named documents in my fileserver on my new machine and right click doesn't give me the option of renaming them which I would expect. Dragging and dropping gives unpredictable results. if I drag the link to my old machine to a new location it proceeds to copy all the files to my new machine which is not what I want. If I drag and drop a folder located on my new machine it creates a shortcut.

All I want to do Is rename the  document  folders and locate them in a logical format for the rest of the family!?

I never did resolve why the C: folder couldn't be shared?

Thanks in advance

Peter

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
PeterLoftus
Pro

And I forgot to mention the new machine is using Wi-Fi and the old machine Ethernet over powerline adaptors. I tried  using powerline adaptors on the new machine but it was slower on the internet and didn't seem to facilitate filesharing?

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I can empathise with this - after two decades of never quite managing to successfully network two machines of various Windows versions.

Having recently acquired a new Win 11 laptop, I thought I'd try linking it to my Win 10 desktop, and luckily stumbled upon this very clear step by step guide . Much to my amazement - it worked! 😃 Well, eventually.

It didn't seem to like trying a whole drive, or even a User account, but adding the Desktop, Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos folders individually worked fine.

This was with Wi-Fi on both machines. I don't know enough to be certain, but as it's all being done via the router, I would think it makes no difference whether you're using Wi-Fi, Ethernet, homeplugs, or a mixture.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Empire
Grafter

Hi Peter, new machine is using Wi-Fi and the old machine Ethernet over powerline adaptors

that should not really matter, 

i would set the network cards and wireless adaptors all to a Private network.

In Windows 10 & 11 open powershell as administrator.

enter 1st (this simply lists your devices and tells you if private or public network etc  )

1.         Get-NetConnectionProfile   

2.  set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex <index number> -NetworkCategory Private

replace  in the 2. command above <index number>   with your device no and enter it.

it just changes  the network device from Public to Private,  if already Private dont enter command 2.

Regards Empire

PS  should will make both W10 & W11 PC see each other.

if that fails you could remote desktop from either PC 

PeterLoftus
Pro

Fix

Hi Gang

I have had a major success IMHO.

Going back to #3 in this thread, I have a bad attitude to Microsoft so I went the Google route to solving my issues. 

So I have loaded Chrome Remote Desktop https://remotedesktop.google.com/ rather than the Microsoft version and it works! and am now able to access my  Windows 10 machine desktop on my Windows 11 machine. I have also added an Icon on my Windows 11 Desktop to open up Chrome Remote Desktop webpage for my family.

It's still all a bit clunky so I would appreciate advice on improvements

Thanks 

Peter

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
PeterLoftus
Pro

This is my new Machine Win 10 on the left and windows 11 on the rightThis is my new Machine Win 10 on the left and windows 11 on the right

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@PeterLoftus 

It's still all a bit clunky so I would appreciate advice on improvements

From what I can see a chrome remote desktop session goes via the internet (google cloud servers) between your PC's rather than directly across your LAN, this may explain 'bit clunky'

Dan.

thackie2015
Dabbler

I agree Google Remote .. is a cloud service.

An alternative would be to use Google Drive which me & mine have found to be quite acceptable to achieve a simialr access/sharing solution 

PeterLoftus
Pro

Hi @Dan_the_Van 

My issue is not speed there is no apparent delay!

The Clunky comment was intended to convey the lack the operation being intuitive or ergonomic!

Regards

Peter

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra