cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 (was 9 until Microsoft changed the number)

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: windows 9

And Microsoft always sell cheaper locally than to the rest of the planet including the UK so w23 is probably nearer the mark.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Wasn't something suppose to happen yesterday Undecided
I am quite happy with W7 on my desktop but hate W8.1 on my laptop. I am not as computer savvy as some on this thread. Will I be able to update from W8.1 to W10 easily?
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo
Wasn't something suppose to happen yesterday Undecided

It did! That's what everyone's talking about - the launch of Windows 10! But you won't be able to get it for a year...
Quote from: artmo
I am quite happy with W7 on my desktop but hate W8.1 on my laptop. I am not as computer savvy as some on this thread. Will I be able to update from W8.1 to W10 easily?

W8 > W8.1 was simple enough. Since W10 is really W8.2 in disguise I can't see it'll be any more difficult.
From memory it was something like a 3.4GB download last time
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

you can sign up to get the preview copy from today http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-10-whats-new-and-how-to-get-the-preview-bits-7000034210/#fta...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
chrcoluk
Grafter

well I have 2 win 8 licenses I never used so free win10(9) for me.
But if its only free by having to install win8 first and then doing a online update via winupdate thats going to be annoying as I like to always clean install windows.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

have got the preview  Wink but my spare pc is on loan  Embarrassed and it looks like it has to be a upgrade not a duel boot , unless i install another HD with win7 and upgrade that one  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
chrcoluk
Grafter

and to top my last post my win8 licenses are upgrade variants so I think even installing win8 clean will have obstacles.  Although I know there was a workaround on win8 launch to install clean with upgrade keys I hope Microsoft never closed that method off.
nanotm
Pro

you need to have a drive with an earlier version of windows (vista/7) to get the upgrade dvd's to work, but you can clean install to a new drive or wipe the existing drive and install on it, word of caution if your planning ot do that though is win8 takes forever to do its updates, which is down to a problem with the OS forcing them to be background only tasks even if you try to force them to do, 8.1 fixes that and the  free upgrade to 10 was mentioned in one article I read s being "from 8.1 only" which if accurate would mean your going to have about a day's worth of installing and updating to do before getting your free copy of 10 ....
artmo
Aspiring Champion

@rongtw, should I download the preview onto my W8.1 laptop? If so can you give me an idiot's guide to doing it?
nanotm
Pro

you need a Microsoft account (outlook.com/live/msn/Hotmail) log into that account in one tab and then open this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview in another one
that will take you to the sing up page for the enterprise preview then its a case of clicking the various idiots guide buttons as you read through the pages until your finally registered and part of the trial group, but as rong mentioned its probably a good idea to have a secondary hdd (or a really big usb stick to use as one on a laptop) that you can swap out to keep it working as the various preview updates get pushed out over the next year until its commercial release time....
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: nanotm
that will take you to the sing up page

I'm not singing for my Windows Grin
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
nanotm
Pro

yeah I'm more of a whistler than a crooner myself but apparently singing is the way to do it ....
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Quote from: nanotm
that will take you to the sing up page

I'm not singing for my Windows Grin

This seems quite appropriate under the circumstances Tongue  Wink
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I've appreciated the help I've got on this thread particularly from rongtw so I don't want to suggest the thread is becoming a pane Wink
Please keep the techie info coming.
chrcoluk
Grafter

artmo thats what I feared, I have always been a believer in never ever do windows OS upgrades, always clean install to avoid problems, yet microsoft seem to be enforcing that install path Sad
Even with previous service pack releases I have found reinstalling using SP integrated media gives less issues.