cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 upgrade - slow web

morgan2476
Grafter

Windows 10 upgrade - slow web

Ever since I updated to win 10 my web browsers are very slow.  I think the connection is ok as I did a speed check.  Are there any issues with win 10.  Can this be sorted?
9 REPLIES 9
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Windows 10 upgrade - slow web

Which web browser?
I had a neighbour who upgraded sometime last month and complained that IE (I think it was 10 or 11) was extremely slow.
As  quick fix over the phone I asked her to try the EDGE browser that comes with Win10. That ran quickly and she was able to import her bookmarks from IE.
That solved the user satisfaction problem - sad to say I have never found the time to go over and diagnose the IE problem - but for that user a Web browser is a web browser, and as long as it has her bookmarks available...
If yours is IE and you do find a fix for it, could you post it
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I use Chrome and Firefox on Windows 10 without issue. As they are free, nothing lost in giving them a try to help to find a solution.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

mine was like treacle until I reinstalled the drivers for my usb devices, no idea why but it was during the beta so chances are the same bug is happening again, on a plus note I also did a complete reinstall of windows 10 a few days ago on another pc and that worked flawlessly ever since /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
morgan2476
Grafter

I have tried IE, Chrome, Firefox and Edge.  They are all slow.  Anything that streams (like Nexus Radio) is OK.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

have you checked the list of things that's running to see if theres some advertising junk in there slowing you down ?
I have found several advert streamers running in the past after visiting a certain website made my browser crawl slower than monkey snot on a pane of glass, disabled all the browser addons and bingo it was moving faster /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
wisty
Pro

Quote from: morgan2476
I have tried IE, Chrome, Firefox and Edge.  They are all slow.  Anything that streams (like Nexus Radio) is OK.

Have you flushed the browser caches - although if all are affected similarly that is unlikely to be the issue. How well does file download perform? How well does mail flow?

If those work well (and the streaming performance and speed tests suggest they do) then I would suspect some sort of antivirus process that is scanning web pages. Which products do you use. I use  Windows Defender and Malwarebytes real-time which seem to play well together. I would suspect you have a different antivirus running (probably one installed before the upgrade) and which is not playing well with Windows Defender on Web pages.

morgan2476
Grafter

Downloading and streaming are ok.  I use Avast antivirus which has been ok.
wisty
Pro

Do you also have windows Defender running? It should turn off automatically when Windows identifies Avast, but it's probably worth checking.
If so can you try turning one or other of them off as a test. Go to "safe" web pages as a test.
If defender is already off, I would be tempted to turn it on, temporarily switch off AVAST and again try some (probably) safe websites (PlusNet, BBC news).
If that doesn't work, then you are in to using something like task manager or process explorer to try and see what is happening when you browse the web.
One idea I found browsing is that the power management scheme is turning off the network adapter!!! See
http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/14629-major-flaw-windows-8-slow-browsing-chrome-firefox.htm...
The poster suggest starting in Safe mode and seeing if the problem is still there?
mav:quote
morgan2476
Grafter

I have improved the speed some bit by disabling the automatic updates.