cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 upgrade - connectivity problems

VB22
Dabbler

Windows 10 upgrade - connectivity problems

Hi, I can't find this as a previous topic in this or the Windows software section - hope someone can help.
I have what was previously a Windows 7 pc, now upgraded to Windows 10. It works perfectly at home where I have BT broadband, accessing e-mails and the internet using the new browser Edge.
But if I take this pc into the office, where we have Plusnet broadband and a Technicolor 582n router, I can open the home page in Edge but cannot follow any links  - I usually get the "Edge can't open this page" message or it will open with just a lot of text on the left hand side. Outlook can do one send/receive but after that it fails. There's no change whether I wire the pc directly to the router or use wifi.
Doing the network diagnostic, I get the  message "one or more network protocols are missing on this computer". It offers to fix these (with admin rights) and says it's fixed. But it isn't really! One time, more detail showed that "windows sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing". Again, it was apparently "fixed" but still no joy.
It's only when the computer is re-booted that I get 1 chance to do e-mails or look at the Edge home page.
Is there a compatibility problem between the Technicolor router and Windows 10? Bearing in mind that it works perfectly with BT, surely the only difference can be the Plusnet router?
28 REPLIES 28
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Windows 10 upgrade - connectivity problems

If you are running security software then it is possible that it perceives the two environments differently, perhaps one as a private network and the other as public. 
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Also take a look at this thread - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134916.96/topicseen.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@VB22
in the office, are you using WiFi or Ethernet cable?
If WiFi, have you tried to delete the connection details for the office and set-up again?
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
VB22
Dabbler

Aaaaargh - just lost my reply. Here goes again:
Thanks for your replies.
The pc is running AVAST free antivirus and the Windows Firewall. I had noticed that the W10 default is to set networks as Public - so I changed it to Private, re-booted and the setting was retained, but no improvement on connectivity. I have already tried both ethernet and wifi, made sure they were private networks, deleted and re-found connections, with re-boots along the way, but the situation is the same.
@Townman
Thank you for the link. There's a lot of technical stuff there, way over my head. You have run some ipconfig queries, would it help me to do the same? I did run sfc /scannow using the command prompt as administrator but nothing showed up.
Post 102 in that link suggests a solution:
To get rid of the problem - Turn OFF the Spoofing by telnetting into the TG582n and run the following commands.
dns server config WANDownSpoofing = disabled
dns server debug spoof clear
dns server debug spoof list
saveall
exit
The spoof 'clear' and 'list' commands are to make sure the list is empty (so your OS cache won't pick up any old spoofed addresses).
When you've done the above, then clear your OS (usually Windows) caches.
That will get rid of the problem.

I can access the router settings online when next in the office (tomorrow afternoon) BUT I am not tech savvy and would be wary of fiddling with settings ...
and what exactly is "telnetting"?
Obviously I wouldn't want to do anything that might compromise how the router works with the other W7 machines (they're working fine and I'd like that to continue!) If it didn't work could you get back to the previous setting?
I also don't know what "clear the OS caches" means or how to do it. Sad, I know 😞
Thanks for your help
Sheila
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Shelia,
The very first thing to do is to confirm that your problem matches those symptoms.
When you get the problem, use the command prompt to ping the failing URL.  If the resolved address is 198.18.1.x then your problem is that problem.  Only then should you consider that resolution path.  Note that there is the simple (but untidy) approach - locally setting the DNS server address in the PC or the technically more involved approach of changing the router configuration.
'Telnetting' (in this context) is a means of connecting to the router's command line interface and running system administration functions to alter configuration settings not accessible via the router's GUI.  To use Telnet needs some hidden features in windows to be enabled.  It is for those reasons that I've been requesting PlusNET to address this issue - the fix referred to in post #102 of the other thread is far from ideal for typical non techy users.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

There is a post here http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/35400-one-more-network-protocols-missing-computer-error.htm... where someone reports clearing the problem by uninstalling Avast.  They subsequently re-installed without a recurrence.  Same solution here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=181423.0
VB22
Dabbler

Hi @ReedRichards, thanks for these links. The second one is about Avast Premier, not the free version that I'm using, but the first link has quite a few people experiencing similar sorts of connectivity probs when they've upgraded to W10. I did try some of the solutions suggested there when I first had the problem in the office, but as the problem goes away entirely when I take the pc home and use our BT Home hub I think I now need to look for a Plusnet solution.
@Townman thanks for the info and the suggestion to check whether my problem is the same by "using the command prompt to ping the failing URL". Sorry to be thick - but the only time I used ping before was when I was checking a particular IP address. So do you mean I should:
open Edge (usually first page appears)
click a link (say to www.bbc.co.uk/news)
when that fails, open command prompt as administrator
type ping www.bbc.co.uk/,news and press return?
I am going into the office tomorrow and will try it then. Thanks for your help.
Sheila
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Shelia,
There is zero need to apologise for not knowing!  Cheesy
The problem with offering help to people is gauging what they do and do not know.  Tell someone how to do it step by step and you might get back "don't need to teach me how to suck eggs..." - Tell someone not enough and you get back "I don't understand / cannot be bothered with all that mumbo-jumbo you've given me - you're no help to me".  So your question is perfect!
I do indeed mean do as you suggest, though admin mode on the command prompt is not essential. See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134916.msg1181580.html#msg1181580
Looking at that reminds me - another diagnostic for this symptom is if the address resolves to 198.18.1.x running ipconfig /flushdns should sort the problem out ... until next time.
As I said before, you need to confirm that this is your problem.  As RR implies the issue could be something else, quite different.

Kevin

VB22
Dabbler

Hi Kevin – here’s how I got on yesterday. (Long post alert)
In case Avast was causing the problem, I’ve uninstalled it. So the pc just has Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall running now.
Edge opens with a start page “Where to next?”
If I type “bbc” it gives a few options to select from. One is the full URL – http://www.bbc.co.uk – but if I click on that, Edge opens its “Hmm, we can’t reach this page” page.
However, if you click on any other option, it opens a Bing page of results for that wording – but then, if you click one of the suggested links, it fails. However, from that Bing search page I can type anything in the search box and it appears to work, searching the web and coming up with results. I just can’t access any of the results.
I then tried pinging things. I wasn’t sure if I could ping “bbc.co.uk” or if it had to be www.bbc.co.uk. Tried both. First time including the www it went to what looks like a proper address (www.bbc.net.uk) but the request timed out. If I leave out the www it goes to a 198.18.1.x address. So I tried the www version again – and this time it also went to a 198.18.1.x address. What’s going on? (in the mean-time I had tried Edge again but no joy).
– probably should say at this stage that other browsers don’t work either, although Google Chrome did manage to get to the bbc site and then on to another page before stopping working.
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping www.bbc.co.uk
Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.244.70] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.   
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping bbc.co.uk
Pinging bbc.co.uk [198.18.1.185] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out. X 4
Pinging www.bbc.co.uk [198.18.1.217] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out. X 4
I tried the same with Microsoft.com and got this:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping microsoft.com
Pinging microsoft.com [198.18.1.218] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out. X 4
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping www.microsoft.com
Pinging e10088.dspb.akamaiedge.net [23.3.6.57] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 23.3.6.57: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=60
Reply from 23.3.6.57: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=60
Reply from 23.3.6.57: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=60
Reply from 23.3.6.57: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=60
Ping statistics for 23.3.6.57:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 18ms
Where was it pinging? Edge will not take me to the Microsoft site.
As I had had the occasional 198.18.1.x address I decided to try the flush dns command and see if that helped.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /flushdns
Windows IP Configuration
Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.
Edge still wouldn’t take me anywhere. Thought I’d better re-boot. Still nothing.
So back with the command prompt:

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.244.68] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out. X 4
C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert www.bbc.co.uk
Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.244.68]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    <1 ms     1 ms    <1 ms  dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
  2    18 ms    18 ms    18 ms  lo0.10.central10.ptn-bng01.plus.net [195.166.128.228]
  3    19 ms    19 ms    18 ms  irb.10.PTW-CR01.plus.net [84.93.249.1]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out. (etc for 30 times)
No idea what any of this means!
Now I am back at home, Edge is working perfectly!

But if I re-do the “ping” tests through the BT router – all apart from one to Microsoft appear to be timing out – even though I don’t have any trouble accessing these sites.(???)
Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.246.55] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out. X 4
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping bbc.co.uk
Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.246.78] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out. X 4
C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert bbc.co.uk
Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.246.78]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1     4 ms     2 ms     2 ms  BThomehub.home [192.168.1.254]
  2    14 ms    14 ms    13 ms  217.32.147.101
  3    15 ms    14 ms    15 ms  217.32.147.126
  4    19 ms    18 ms    19 ms  212.140.206.90
  5    17 ms    18 ms    17 ms  217.41.169.193
  6    18 ms    20 ms    18 ms  213.120.179.83
  7    18 ms    17 ms    18 ms  acc2-xe-7-2-0.sf.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.251.233]
  8    25 ms    23 ms    24 ms  core1-te0-0-0-4.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.251.25]
  9    25 ms    24 ms    25 ms  peer1-xe1-0-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.254.98]
10     *        *        *     Request timed out. ETC
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping microsoft.com
Pinging microsoft.com [23.100.122.175] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out. X 4
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping www.microsoft.com
Pinging e10088.dspb.akamaiedge.net [23.40.72.154] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 23.40.72.154: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.40.72.154: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.40.72.154: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.40.72.154: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=54
Can you make any sense of this?
Thanks for any help you can give
Sheila
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Shelia,
There are a number of things going on here...
1. www,website.com and website.com are not the same; they require distinct DNS resolution lookups and though invariably they will deliver the same answer, they may not either by design or (as in this case) due to the IP address spoofing issue.
2. You have the IP address spoofing issue - 198.18.1.x is a 'special' (useless) IP address.
3. Connectivity to valid IP addresses is just timing out.
Given that you've said you are not overly tech savvy, fixing this is going to need hand holding, which right now, I'm not able to offer.  I might have time to offer a step by step guide later.  In the meantime, try running up a command prompt and typing - ipconfig /flushdns - that will clear things out the 198.18.1.x addresses until they return.  Though tedious, it will keep you going until I can get you the step by step guidance you are going to need.
Kevin

VB22
Dabbler

Hi Kevin
Thanks for your reply. I did try the flushdns command yesterday but that didn't help me access the internet
From yesterday's post:

As I had had the occasional 198.18.1.x address I decided to try the flush dns command and see if that helped.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /flushdns
                Windows IP Configuration
               Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.
                        Edge still wouldn’t take me anywhere. Thought I’d better re-boot. Still nothing.

I have seen on other W10 forums that people have had difficulty with W10 & Edge when they just did the W10 upgrade (rather than a clean install). I have all the data backed up and can re-install other programs so a complete reset of W10 wouldn't be the end of the world - just very time-consuming. But since it works perfectly here at home - the probs only start at work - I can't help thinking it's the interaction with the TG582 router, and that may not be solved by a reset.
Many thanks for your time on this, but I have the problem of only being able to test things when I'm in the office. I can only take the pc in and use a desk to get plugged in when one of the full-time staff is out. Embarrassed
What do you think about the reset option?
Sheila
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Just a note , for some reason BBC.co.uk has stopped ping requests since it got DDos attack last week 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Hi Sheila,
We've pushed some config changes to your router. I'm interested to know whether or not it's helped?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

VB22
Dabbler

Hi Bob, thanks for doing that.
Unfortunately I've only just seen your message and it's too late for me to get to the office now. Due to work commitments now I won't be able to test whether the router changes make a difference to the Windows 10 machine until the middle of next week.
Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how I get on
Sheila