Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 update changed the network sharing settings and mucked up access

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Windows 10 update changed the network sharing settings and mucked up access

All of a sudden it demanded a username and password when connecting from my Win 7 computer

Solution

Go into the network sharing centre and reset the permissions to what they were before - note I don't use the Home Group Feature

I hate Microsoft - why do they have to fiddle

4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Windows 10 update changed the network sharing settings and mucked up access

Windows has never, to my knowledge, had a 'Restore default settings' option.  So it is quite easy to go astray by accident (or by the action of computer malware) and not be able to get back.  The major ('feature') updates to Windows 10 do tend to restore settings back to their default values and at first I was annoyed by this too but I can see it does have some advantages if the computer is returned to a standard state.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

not when I have to spend time sorting it out - and the fact that my better half wouldn't have a clue how to do it so that my automatic Acronis backups work

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

I agree totally @Oldjim - if I spend time getting my machine to run the way I want it, Microsoft nor anyone else has the right to decide I'm doing something 'wrong'.

Which reminds me - must re-adjust my mums' machine.

John
Oldjim
Resting Legend

well it appears to have happened again

my better half's pc has just upgraded to build 1709 and it is no longer accessible on the network

Edit

Just disabled Sync Centre on this Win 10 machine rebooted and they are accessible again - most odd