Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 telnet

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Windows 10 telnet

I have been trying to resolve an issue which research suggests I need to use telnet in admin mode to resolve. When I open up a Command prompt I do not appear to be in admin mode, even though the Windows account I use to log in is the designated admin user.

Can anyone help?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
8 REPLIES 8
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Windows 10 telnet

@maranello

TELNET is a program which allows you to log on to another computing device using a text base interface. Of itself, it does not require ADMINISTRATOR privileges as all you are doing is connecting to another computer (not the current one).

What are you attempting to achieve here if you don't mind me asking?

If you really, really want to open a command shell locally with administrator privileges then just right click the "Windows"  start flag and select the option "Command Prompt (Admin)"

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If you right click on Command, you will get the option to run as administrator.

Telnet is not available as standard on Windows 10, but can be turned on, lots of ways to do it for example..

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Telnet is just a remote shell app. It doesn't have any special permissions, what you log into the remote using determines the privilege.
When you enter the command telnet <server> you should then get a log in prompt.
maranello
Pro

@SpendLessTime I'm still trying to resolve the 'This page can't be displayed' issue. changing DNS servers hasn't completely cured it, i'm attempting the solution in 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Connection-has-Timed-out-This-page-can-t-be-displayed/...

Thanks for all your helpful responses. I'm still finding it frustrating that there are so may things I haven't been able to do in Win 10 that I knew how to do in XP 

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@maranello

The admin bit in the published solution on that thread is the username to enter when prompted after connecting to the router. So you just open a normal command shell in Windows 10 and type "telnet 198.168.1.254" assuming the router is at 192.168.1.254. You will then be prompted for the username and then the password. This username and password are the ones you would use if you used the web browser to connect to the router.

If telnet is not available in your Windows 10 command shell then use the link given by @Mustrum and enable it using the graphical instructions. I hadn't remembered turning on telnet explicitly but I must've done at some time in the past.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
maranello
Pro

Need administrator privileges in command prompt to execute dism command in @Mustrum's link.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

As already mentioned, type command in the "Ask me anything" box, lower left hand side of the screen, next to the Windows icon, and when you see the Command Prompt program, right click and run as admin. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're looking for a good Telnet Client you can't go wrong with Putty a useful application to have at the best of times.