cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 - sorry Microsoft can't see what all the fuss is about

philipr06
Grafter

Windows 10 - sorry Microsoft can't see what all the fuss is about

Well after 5 weeks of using Windows 10 and hoping it would be better than 7 i'm afraid I have ditched it.
It was becoming increasingly slow and buggy.
Start up was becoming very slow and i'm using an SSD.
Clean install of Windows 7 and i'm a happy camper agaIn.
In my opinion it's a bloated windows 7 with the bad genes from windows 8 still in the DNA.
19 REPLIES 19
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Windows 10 - sorry Microsoft can't see what all the fuss is about

+1    and also many of the "good" things of previous windows removed to make it even more difficult to use...  total waste of (how many people`s) time and effort ...
Mav
Fixes: 514

I installed it on my laptop and am certainly not impressed with it so far. I agree with the fact it seems to go out of its way to make it harder to do the same things we did with ease on W7!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

There is nothing wrong with win 8.1 which i run,it works just fine,my desktop is setup as to how i want it,i can,t see me using win 10 anytime soon. Smiley Cheesy Grin
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
chrcoluk
Grafter

win10 is laggy here also, and to be blunt its not a weak rig.
quad core intel i5 750
samsung 830 ssd
16 gig ram
no 3rd party apps installed.
only used for testing desktop stuff, and its definitely slower than windows 7.
this is also ignoring all the other current issus win10 has.  Glad it hasnt touched any of my production machines.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Will W10 open up glorious new Vista's?  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

After some teething troubles during the first month I am now running Windows 10 Insider Preview 10532 (ahead of the mainstream).  It has run perfectly smoothly for the last few weeks - I cannot perceive any speed difference with Windows 7 except searches which seem to be slower.  The 'look' is inferior to Windows 7 and the Start Menu seems clunky by comparison.  I found a way of getting access to the old Windows 7 games that I missed initially.  But I have an OS that Microsoft say they will support until 2025, which is no bad thing.  And I am hoping for further improvements to Windows 10 during that time.  For example, more ability to use spoken commands would be a good thing, I think. 
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Well after hearing so many bad reviews of Win 8 and 9 being barely heard of, I wasn't prepared to upgrade to Windows CIA edition. Lets face it with the CIA, FBI, MI5 and everyone else suddenly gaining access to your data, it was only a matter of time before it came crawling to a halt while it's processing your system and giving away your ashley madison secrets  Cheesy
Nope, Win7 is not going anywhere just yet. I'm quite happy with it on my system and will continue to use it for some years I expect. The day I am forced to upgrade to Windows CIA edition is the day i think i'll look to linux and a VM for Win7 for using older stuff.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Yesterday I joined the queue for the free upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7. I'm beginning to regret it now. Is there a way to stop MS installing Win 10? I'm supposed to have a month after I get the upgrade to return to my old os if I don't like Win 10, but how much damage will it have done by then?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

A minority of people find that they cannot go back and I have posted in another thread about something you can do wrong to ensure you are in that minority, Penneck.  Otherwise I think if you upgrade, make sure Windows 10 is activated, then rollback to Windows 7 you should be able to upgrade again in future for free - even after the Microsoft offer expires.  I'm not 100% sure of that but I think so.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I think..... if you have opted in to have the upgrade... there is nowt you can do about it.... except let it upgrade.... which will take about an hour to an hour and a half.... then close down the computer... reboot... and then look on line for how to .... how to revert back from windows 10 to previous...  
The process is fairly simple.... and takes less than 15 minutes,... if I remember rightly...  
After that you need to uninstall KB 3035583 which is the "nag" for you to upgrade and puts the windows logo on your desktop.... see other threads on here that already cover this sort of stuff !...
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I got home last night, turned on my PC then went to watch a film. Came back and it'd automatically updated to Windows 10 Sad I could roll straight back to 7, but I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and see how it performs.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Don't be tempted to run the Media Creation Tool, Chris, or you will lose your option to go back.  Changing user accounts also causes problems.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've still got the Windows 7 disc, so if all else fails I can do a fresh install (it's about due for one anyway), plus I'm planning CPU, mobo and RAM upgrades in the next couple of months so will need to reinstall then.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Having just done a complete rebuild - CPU, Mobo, Memory etc with Win 7 I didn't need to do anything - it just worked