Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Windows 10 policy raises major privacy concerns

This does not look good, think i will hold of downloading it for now
Regards
Mike
Quote from: http
Microsoft announced its new OS on Wednesday, skipping past Windows 9 and going straight to Windows 10.
The software giant said it would be offering users a chance to download a very early beta version of the new OS via the Windows Insider Program.
However the permissions that users must accept in order to download the software are frighteningly intrusive, with people complaining left, right and centre.
The policy states: “Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage."
Microsoft also collects information not only about yourself, but your activity on various different features.
"We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility" and "use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing."
"If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you] enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features."
It's an alarming approach from Microsoft - a privacy advocates worst nightmare.
As of yet Microsoft is refusing to comment on the reports but we expect an excuse sooner or later.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

8 REPLIES 8
x47c
Grafter

Re: Windows 10 policy raises major privacy concerns

Well that IS the objective of betas - to get feedback on its performance
So that is how MS are doing it.
You get it for free for a time and MS collects the data
Sorry but what do you expect - Did you think you get to use win10 for a time free of charge and have to give nothing back at all by way of performance analysis or feedback?
You don't want this sort of thing don't take part in beta releases
Its all a bit like Plusnet trials where people take part and then complain loudly when it goes wrong
That the objective - too see where it goes wrong
It you cannot accept this - don't take part in trials.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

So it's the Windows Insider Program privacy policy: https://insider.windows.com/Home/PrivacyStatement
The purpose of the program is to enable you to provide usage data and feedback to Microsoft while trying out Microsoft’s pre-release software and services.

It does not say: The purpose of the program is to let everyone play with a pre-release version of Windows 10 for free.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What's the problem?  It's a beta programme and, by downloading and using the software, you are acting as a tester for Microsoft.  M$ are free to set any conditions they like and gather any metrics they need in order to gather data as they see fit as part of their test.
If the same clause is present in the release version then, of course, people have a right to be very concerned!
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

I fully understand how betas work, and no i would not to expect to get something for free with out giving feedback.
I don't see the need for them to collect phone call and sms data.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's a blanket agreement and Windows10 is planned to also run on phones and tablets.  That clause doesn't affect users of the software on a PC (unless they're using a VOIP app perhaps)
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I dont see the problem , they say DONT ! use on your main PC
Use you brains come on ,, unless you never had a Beta and you are worried Dont download Simples Smiley
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: I
This does not look good, think i will hold of downloading it for now
Regards
Mike
Quote from: http
Microsoft announced its new OS on Wednesday, skipping past Windows 9 and going straight to Windows 10.
The software giant said it would be offering users a chance to download a very early beta version of the new OS via the Windows Insider Program.
However the permissions that users must accept in order to download the software are frighteningly intrusive, with people complaining left, right and centre.
The policy states: “Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage."
Microsoft also collects information not only about yourself, but your activity on various different features.
"We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility" and "use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing."
"If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you] enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features."
It's an alarming approach from Microsoft - a privacy advocates worst nightmare.
As of yet Microsoft is refusing to comment on the reports but we expect an excuse sooner or later.

They will already have your name & Email address for correspondence
The devices / applications / Networks, are no doubt to improve drivers etc
Information about you, will only be what you input into the device (so if your worried, input as minimal as is possible)
Preferences & browsing History (they have been doing that for years anyhow)
Various activities (The like of Google / Facebook et al have been doing this for many a year)
Speech, I agree that it does need a overhaul & need major improving
Keylogging to improve autocomplete & Spellcheck features (Just be careful what you type, & if it is sensitive, refer back to using your main PC)
As for SMS / Calls etc (as other(s) has already stated)
Simples
If in any doubt of your own carefullness DON'T DOWNLOAD & INSTALL
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

yeah its why i didn't get the trial, the whole system is constantly reporting home everything you do,
re the sms/call data, that's about the phone sync many people will have active on their M$ account with the windows phone just having them on the same account will be the catch all never mind actually plugging it in and using pc sync ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you