Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 - now I have to pay for it

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Windows 10 - now I have to pay for it

In which case the computer won't boot without the disk holding Vista.  But that's not a problem because you can always use the bootrec tool to repair the dual-boot capability if it gets lost.  Or to make the Windows 7 disk bootable if you want to.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

So would the easiest option be to add the SSD correctly partitioned and then copy the Win 7 partition to it and disconnect the Vista drive then make it bootable using the Win 7 disk (if I do that would it be better to disconnect the exiting Win 7 drive just in case)

Once having done that I could set the boot order in bios to go to the SSD first and the Vista drive second just in case something goes adrift

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Yes, that should work fine, @Oldjim.  It's probably safer to disconnect the existing Windows 7 drive.

You should perhaps consider the relative merits of moving your existing Windows 7 to the SSD or starting again with a clean install.  The latter would take much longer but you would shed any dross accumulated over the years so the end result would most likely be better. 

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To be honest the thought of having to reinstall everything and setting everything up to work fills me with horror so I won't do it

Win 7 still works fine with no real slowdowns

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Yep, if it ain't broke..... 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville