cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 helps parents monitor their child's browsing etc.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Windows 10 helps parents monitor their child's browsing etc.

http://betanews.com/2015/08/10/users-are-unhappy-that-windows-10-automatically-sends-emails-about-ch...

Not having a child I don't have an axe to grind on this but I would be interested in your thoughts

This weekend we upgraded my 14-year-old son's laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10. Today I got a creepy-ass email from Microsoft titled 'Weekly activity report for [my son]', including which websites he's visited, how many hours per day he's used it, and how many minutes he used each of his favorite apps. I don't want this. I have no desire to spy on my boy.

8 REPLIES 8
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Windows 10 helps parents monitor their child's browsing etc.

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don`t, some may see it as a invasion to your privacy,others to protect gullible from dodgy sites.Undecided

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

of course we now have the situation where Microsoft have all this information and they can do what they like with it

2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

Not just Microsoft, anyone who plays by the book, does things correctly, and is law-abiding, is easily checked  nowadays.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You would have to sign in to the computer with a Microsoft Account (optional) and set up second account for your child as a Child's Account (optional) in which case you get an email about your child's activities (optional but now on by default).    

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

All fourteen year olds are different and only a parent knows their child, or at least they think they do, but in the same way we should not be looking into any diary, we should not be monitoring their browsing either.

At fourteen most children are at the end of adolescence and should be well able to grasp the concept of privacy - and the total lack of it when it comes to using the internet. Mind you having said that many adults are as dull as dishwater when it comes to sharing information.

Seems like we've gone from minding our own business to everybody minding ours and that of others. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

"of course we now have the situation where Microsoft have all this information and they can do what they like with it"

Can they?

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Mav
Fixes: 515

@Minivanman wrote:

All fourteen year olds are different and only a parent knows their child, or at least they think they do, but in the same way we should not be looking into any diary, we should not be monitoring their browsing either.

I certainly wouldn't look in a child's diary but I do think some monitoring of their browsing habits is necessary as there is so much dangerous and worrying stuff out there that a young adolescent may not be ready to view or even understand. I do feel that being open with them is the first port of call.

At fourteen most children are at the end of adolescence and should be well able to grasp the concept of privacy - and the total lack of it when it comes to using the internet.

My understanding is that adolescence ranges from as young as 11 till possibly 19 so at 14 could be in the middle of it.

I would rather do my own monitoring if and when necessary in an open way than rely on a third party to do my job as a parent.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Legend

You are right of course about the age of adolescent 

Herman Melville