cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10.... What is good about it.... What is bad about it ?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Windows 10.... What is good about it.... What is bad about it ?

Couple of threads on here about Windows 10 problems.....    but this is not about the problems themselves... which are commonly referred to as BUGS.. !.. huh.. !..
What do you think is GOOD about W10......
And what do you thing is BAD about W10....
Simple explanations... nothing too techy... this is for the "basic" user point of view... 
Techy stuff to solve bugs is on the other threads.....
17 REPLIES 17
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Windows 10.... What is good about it.... What is bad about it ?

It's a bug if it is a minor annoyance, but a disaster if it crashes your machine.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

What is good - it isn't Linux  Lips_are_sealed Lips_are_sealed Grin
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

It is superior to win 7 & 8
ok has Bugs just like win7 & win8 on release ,, not as many as win8 had
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I really like Cortana, the voice recognition feature.  Suppose I want to start a program I use infrequently, like Notepad.  I can click Start -  All apps, scroll down to N and find that Notepad isn't listed, type Notepad into the search box and click Notepad (Desktop App) at the top of the list.
Or I can say "Hey Cortana, launch Notepad", she says "Here's Notepad", starts the program and I don't have to click anything at all.  
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I don,t know how win 10 is more superior,my win 8.1 works like a dream. Smiley Cheesy
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
jockwav
Aspiring Pro

I think cortana would really get on my nerves,a bit like that sat nav voice,annoying. Crazy Grin
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
anniesboy
Rising Star

For many people thoughts on Windows 10 reminds me of the Guiness advert.
"I dont like it Ive never tried it"
shutter
Community Veteran

I have tried it..... and I don`t like it.....
Several features of Win 7, and prior versions, are missing, which means, to me, a 3 or 4 times more work, to do the same job.
e.g.  Downloading pics from my camera... ( I take about 3,000 to 4,000 in a year ).with Win 7 and VIsta, and XP, I just put my card in the laptop, and it downloaded them... renumbered them ... put them into a dated folder,..... into  a folder destination of my choice... and then erased them....
On win 10 DOWNGRADE.... I had to do each of those jobs manually... to achieve the same end result...  
There are other features too, that have been added/changed that I don`t like....
On my "old" (8yrs) laptop.... it even "blocked" the touchpad driver, so that when I plugged in a mouse... the touchpad was still active... and there was no "updated" driver for it... so when typing, and the touchpad sensed movement... it moved the cursor.....
Why did Microsoft do that ?
Apparently, that driver was "dangerous to Windows 10, and therefore we have blocked its use"........ Erm? ? ?  and they call Windows 10 an UPGRADE  ? ? 
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I know and have read about it the best thing about Windows 10 for me is the fact that it's not installed on any of my machines!
shutter
Community Veteran

And another BAD thing about Windows 10.....
Microsoft are now "spamming" me with emails about how good it is.....
There must be a way to stop them ? ? 
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

The Email spamming is nothing to do with the actual OS , so it cant be considered a BAD thing about win10  Wink  just because MS want you to upgrade .
I also read a lot that most driver problems are with older hardware , even some hardware manufacturers no longer support some of their hardware so you cannot expect a new OS to support the same , but i agree you shouldn't have  to buy a new laptop because your old one is not supported .
Shutter yes i agree the win10 photo app is a bit MEH  Sad but i dint give up on win10 because it wont  work the  way i like , i just found another software to replace it  Wink
Win 10 is no where near as bad as win8 when it was released , and i suspect a few here will remember some older OS which were as bad on release  win ME  Crazy but people still tried to make the most of what it was , same as win10 It is good but you may have to mess about a bit a first , but it will become as good or better than win 7  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Pendragon
Rising Star

The good thing about 10 is when it works it works really well, for instance I have an Asus Transformer T100 and a clean install on this was like giving it a heart transplant. I have also updated my Dell laptop (old dual core), and my 6 months old HP laptop, both work better with 10 than with, respectively, 7 and 8.1.
However when it goes wrong it really goes wrong, yesterday a simple update to both OneDrive and a security update trashed my high end gaming and video editing machine.
OneDrive decided it wanted to scan every partition on my computer for pictures, videos, and documents (I have 3 drives of over 4 TB of storage and a USB3 2 TB backup) but at the same time 10’s blasted forced updates installed the security update.
I do a lot of ts file editing as I have a PVR that can copy files over our home network to be edited on my PC so I have a heck of a lot of all the above on my machine.
Result, all partitions needed ‘Administrator privileges’ to copy anything from anywhere to anywhere, nothing would run as it could not write anything back to the partitions, no games would save game positions, totally trashed. Oh yes and after much fiddling I found ‘Secure Boot’ was activated in the BIOS.
Lucky for me before the upgrade I made a system image of 7 using Backupper (sic), and was able to restore from this to get everything working again. Windows 10 is now banned from this machine until at least SP1 (if they ever release such a thing).
Now I’m not blaming 10 here it could be some combination of dlls, dot net, dx12, something during the upgrade to 10, whatever, I don’t know, but something went wrong and it took all day, a lot of expletives, some table thumping and a bit of screaming to sort it out (I’m 69 BTW so a bit of the above is allowed at my age  ;)).
Oh and one last bad thing, if you have 10 Home you can’t uninstall OneDrive, you can stop it loading (until the updates put it back as it did mine above) but you can’t get rid of it, you can on 10 Pro so if I do update this machine in the future it will be a pro version at the very least.
(Sorry about the long post but had to get that off my chest so to speak), regards P.
MartyPop
Rising Star

Quote from: rongtw
It is superior to win 7 & 8
ok has Bugs just like win7 & win8 on release ,, not as many as win8 had

Win10 is superior to Win7??  Shocked
You're kidding, right?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Are we comparing W10 to W7 RTM or W7 SP1.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine