Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Synaptics touchpad

philipr06
Grafter

Windows 10 Synaptics touchpad

This is bugging me.
With windows 7 I had the ability to use one finger scrolling.
This option is not available in win 10.
Forced to use 2 finger scrolling which I find awkward.
Has anyone found how to restore one finger scrolling
7 REPLIES 7
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Windows 10 Synaptics touchpad

You should have a synaptics icon in the notification area.
Right click and choose Pointing Device Properties.
Goto ClickPad tab
Settings
Scroll tab
Options for 1 and 2 finger scrolling

philipr06
Grafter

Nope - only option to enable 2 finger scrolling - no entry for one finger scrolling
philipr06
Grafter

are you on Windows 10 sjptd ?
philipr06
Grafter

sorted - rolled back the driver
saguaro
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I did find the setting on mine, but it's well hidden.
On the Settings App go to Devices/Mouse&Touchpad.
Click on the 'Additional Mouse Settings' link under 'Related Settings' to get the old Mouse Properties dialog.
Go to the Device Settings tab and click the Settings ... button to get the touchpad properties dialog.
Half way down there's a checkbox marked 'Scrolling'. Tick it and select that line; a blue gear icon appears. Click that.
A super-sekrit dialog box appears, in which you can tick boxes to enable horizontal and vertical scrolling. OK out of all the dialogs, and done.
(This is v7.2 on an eighteen-month-old Toshiba; there was a bunch of driver updates via Toshiba fairly soon after I upgraded to 10.  Which is probably when I started having ridiculous issues with RunTIme Broker hogging resources, but I squashed that with a registry hack. )
I'm not a huge fan of edge scrolling myself -- I always ended up just dragging the scroll bars -- but it is there if you want it.
sjptd
Grafter

are you on Windows 10 sjptd ?  Yes.  I'm glad you got it sorted.
I quite like the two finger scroll .... I'm glad you made me aware of it.  I too never liked the side scroll.  I hardly ever use the touchpad anyway; I prefer a real mouse.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

As an aside...... My Dell inspiron 1545 (c 2007) updated to windows 10 pro form win 7 pro.... the touchpad is permanently "active" now.... on Win7 it was disabled by plugging in the mouse... it was a "clean install".. on a Formatted HDD... so Dell drivers had to be installed as well.... The problem is... Microsoft have decided that the ALPS Touchpad driver for the machine is "dangerous" to Win 10... and therefore is automatically BLOCKED.... there is no way to install a driver for the auto disable of touchpad on this machine now....
Not my problem,.... because I am going to sell it with the Win 10 Pro on it ! ! ! ....