cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Black Screen

BenG
Grafter

Windows 10 Black Screen

hi, was wondering if someone has any info on how to fix Windows 10 with a black screen.
Where I do voluntary work, one of the staff said they had a problem after installing Windows 10 on that free upgrade.
The problem is every time the computer is booted or restarted you just get a blank black screen after about 5 minutes a mouse cursor does appear,
but that's it.
I tried getting to safe mode but with no joy the only part I can get to is with a bunch of some options like Trouble shooting and restart to factory state. But at the moment the person has music on the drive and other personal data so resetting is no option unless as only a last resort.
Also tried to do a system restore but it seems no restore point exists.
Other option I found was to reset back to normal windows state but with keeping your person files.
But this just fails, they have also tried a HDMI cable to a different monitor but this also does nothing.
Is it possible to recover the music files?
Is there any way of using a Bootable USB version of Windows Vista/7 or maybe Linux just too at least get there files backed up. Then I can revert to the factory reset.
I here a few people have been having problem’s with windows 10 I am just glad I did not upgrade, Think I stay with my Vista and Windows7
Any help will be very helpful thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Windows 10 Black Screen

You could try using a Linux Live CD ... Mint 17.2 is a good one.... once it has "installed"  .. (but it hasn`t really)... you can then investigate the HDD and probably download the files and folders from it to a USB stick ...  or if you have a caddy.. you could put a spare hdd in and copy them to that.....
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Allegedly its Driver error , all you have to to fix is to go to  Go to
Control panel...Power Options, and select Choose What the Power Buttons Do on the left.
Then select Change Settings That are Currently Unavailable near the top center of screen...
Lower down on the window, uncheck Fast Startup.  Wink

At the black screen, press the Ctrl key once on an attached physical keyboard. (You won’t see any visible change, but pressing the Ctrl key will place the cursor in the password box that you’re currently not able to see.)
Now type the password of the user that just signed out and press Enter.This will sign you back into Windows and the desktop will appear.
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: BenG
I tried getting to safe mode but with no joy the only part I can get to is with a bunch of some options like Trouble shooting and restart to factory state.

Although it's not immediately visible (and may not work) you should find Safe Mode amongst those option.  It's under advanced troubleshooting or some such.
Also tried to do a system restore but it seems no restore point exists.

I've been finding that problem a lot with Windows 10; something goes wrong and the restore points disappear
Is it possible to recover the music files?

I'd vote for Shutter's suggestion if rongtw's idea doesn't work.
NedLudd
Grafter

What I had happen on my laptop once was an early update that took a loooonnnnggg time to run. Leaving the machine for a few hours sorted it though!
Geoff,
York.
BenG
Grafter

Thanks for the suguestions I give them a go on Tuesday when I am back in and let you know how I got on.
Thanks.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

If you no longer have any restore points when you have upgraded to Windows 10 then check the following.
Go to  Control Panel > System > System Protection
Check that the Hard disks have Protection set to "ON". If set to OFF then change it and then you can create restore points going forward.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT