cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windays easier than Linux I think not. (on hardware)

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Windays easier than Linux I think not. (on hardware)

So I was in Win 7 when I had to scan a document to prove I had posted something.
No probs I though, just fire up the scanner ... NOPE no driver  Cry Crazy
So check web site for driver, nothing later than xp available. PAH.  Shocked
Vuescan will work, but has nasty watermarks all over the SMALL scan, and only outputs pdf's, ebay wants a pic. No way to convert from pdf to jpg easily.
Google shows run a VM with Linux in it (or xp) to get a scan done  Cheesy
Reboot in to Mint, run simple scan, save as jpg, attach and all done. Total time less than it takes W7 to BOOT.
So you will probably say but the scanner is an old one (Canon Lide 30) but it does all I need from a scanner and I got it for free from Freecycle several years ago, and Mint has no issues with it. Why should I have to replace the hardware (that is WORKING fine) just cause M$ can't handle it?
19 REPLIES 19
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Windays easier than Linux I think not. (on hardware)

I agree totally... why should I have to buy a new laptop, because Microsoft say that the existing driver for my old laptop is "dangerous" to Windows 10....  Pah...  Huh
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

it would have been simpler to just take a photo with your smart phone and then copy it from your cloud account to the ebay submission.....

as to the driver its got less to do with M$ and more to do with the company that made it not providing the driver ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Maybe but most of the drivers are included are they not? I have not used M$ for many years now so am out of what is included. And the notorious windows update only seems to want me to install W10. Even though I have uninstalled the "update" and hidden it.
As to taking a pic, I didn't have my phone on my but the scanner was connected to the pc already. Unlike most people I don't carry my phone all the time. Unless I am on holiday and use the satnav/where is my car apps.
I am used to Linux where 99% of the drivers are included already.
shutter
Community Veteran

@HB.... see this
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,143126.0.html

to stop windows trying to update... works for me ! ! ... haven`t seen an update since I posted that thread.... ( windows 7 professional is great! ! )...
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Hairy
So I was in Win 7 when I had to scan a document to prove I had posted something.
No probs I though, just fire up the scanner ... NOPE no driver  Cry Crazy
So check web site for driver, nothing later than xp available. PAH.  Shocked
Vuescan will work, but has nasty watermarks all over the SMALL scan, and only outputs pdf's, ebay wants a pic. No way to convert from pdf to jpg easily.

The Linux convert command will convert PDF pages into images. Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: shutter
@HB.... see this
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,143126.0.html

to stop windows trying to update... works for me ! ! ... haven`t seen an update since I posted that thread.... ( windows 7 professional is great! ! )...

I've done all that and still have the icon in the notification area, and upgrade to W10 in the windows update. I have just hidden the icon and ignore the upgrade since I did try to and it just sat there.
@VFD I just used simple scan which scans direct to jpg.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Hairy
Reboot in to Mint

You had to reboot? So that says you've got different OS's installed on different partitions and thats ... well... old skool!
You'd be better off running a VM inside your linux distro... Oh.. hang on... linux isn't as advanced as windows  Cheesy
(Now watch the flaming start  ;D)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

It just did....
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
VileReynard
Hero

I always try out major new releases of Linux as a VM in my current Linux.
You could surely try Windows 10 running as a VM in Windows 8 - or even as a VM on a Linux host?
At least you'd find any bits you don't like.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: 7up
You'd be better off running a VM inside your linux distro... Oh.. hang on... linux isn't as advanced as windows  Cheesy

I DO run W7 in a VM but the 3d support is poor. It is easier to just run it on a separate hdd. However the one I DO run in a VM is a lot more stable! Mind you the startup of the VM is instant, mostly cause it is frozen not shutdown, not the 5+min it takes W7 to boot on the hdd.
As to Linux not being as advanced as M$. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. You only have to look at the number of reboots required when updating either of them or the upgrade route time. See my other thread.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Don't worry, people have worked hard to bring the "reboot to install updates" experience to Linux. https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/SoftwareUpdates
shutter
Community Veteran

Hey Ho!...... @HB.... and how many times did I have to re-boot for things to take effect (like installing a wireless driver or a USB driver ..) or doing anything on "Terminal"...
when I was trying to get my wifi and other hardware to work on Linux Mint? 
Never mention that... do you... so stop running down the number of times a re-boot is necessary.... it is necessary on BOTH O.S.`s  neither of which is perfect.
VileReynard
Hero

Reboots are not necessary in Linux for installing plugin modules to the kernel.
I've noticed that Firefox upgrades require you to restart your browser, though.
I do need to do a deferred reboot for major kernel updates or any special video driver installs.
BTW What's a USB driver?

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: 7up

That's very true, you are still allowed to set it up as you want Smiley
I don't think consumer versions of MS Windows allow you to set up a VM within WIndows, but only as an application - though I'm willing to be corrected. However, I suspect the VMs inside Linux are a bit complicated for most people (KVM/XEN kernels etc) compared with applications like VirtualBox.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.