Did you mean: 

WinUtuxU

samuria
Grafter

WinUtuxU

Anyone tried this WinUtuxU? You can download it for FREE from
link:removed
The website is link:removed
What is it well thats the question its an open source Ubutu/windowsxp thing is the only way to describe it. It install without any user interaction and has all the software you will need like Open Office, VLAn, Gimp etc.
It runs on 64 meg of ram be it a bit slow and on 128 meg its nippy. Takes 2-3 gig diskspace. On 512 ram or more it flys and looks like xp crossed with Linux.
It runs all XP progs and gets XP updates there is no serial number needed and you dont have to activate it.
Is it legal the authors say yes but I will leave that up to you
[Moderator's note by Peter (PJ): Removed download links from post as content is of dubious legality]
3 REPLIES 3
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: WinUtuxU

Well - it's apparently rubbish.
According to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=555347&page=2
(matthewdhandley) and many others:
"Well, after trying WinUtuxU out, I would have to say that it seems to be nothing more than an OEM copy of Windows XP Professional, that has been set up to use a very convincing "Human" theme, and has all the default software replaced with open source equivalants.
It seems to run well, and I have to say that if it were a legal copy, I would consider using it as my regular XP install. I wish that it was based on Media Center edition, because then I could use the CD key I already own, and swap it for the OEM key that comes built in.
I'm not a Windows expert, so I'm not sure how they did this, but WinUtuxU did pass the Windows Genuine Advantage test."

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

samuria
Grafter

The point I made was they say its legal and as you say it passes WGA. You can see 95% of it is Linux or GNU software.
I can only take it at face value when they say its 100% legal and  I have tried an internal MS test which says its genuine.
It could be like windows PE as there is loads of repair software that boots into windows using windows pe and you dont need to buy windows to use it.
At the end of the day only MS could say if it legal or not.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If it contains any M$ code at all, then it counts as derivative M$ software. This is probably banned by the M$ licences and it certainly wouldn't be acceptable as an open source product (because it contains non-free portions).
The use of open source applications like FireFox and Open Office is legitimate on any PC. It doesn't appear to be widely advertised but there is a version of GIMP (the standard photo editing software for Linux) that has been ported to Windows.
It sounds like this product has managed to get rid of the Windows GUI and replace it with one of it's own (there is quite a selection of Linux GUI's available).
This would explain the improvement in storage usage - I don't  think native M$ XP is worth having below 512MB?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."