Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win7 indigestion!!

colintivy
Rising Star

Win7 indigestion!!

H Folks!
My HP Pavillion dv6 AMD laptop with Win7 after working normally for months until last Saturday when it failed to start up  Used the M$ repair facility which was offered and after a lot of disc activity it has returned to some degree of working. Now it takes a lot of time to feed text to my printer and is slow in several other activities. On top of this it seems to have gone to the last Restore point which must have been before the welcome update to the PN front page was done. I have posted before about my Dell OptiPlex GX110 seldom finding the new layout when trawling for the website without much success and now my laptop has reverted to the same display. It all seems to work, as indeed the Dell does, but I would like to sort both out. All my own data files are untouched and I have back-ups of those Any advice out there?
Angry
13 REPLIES 13
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Win7 indigestion!!

Either you have a hardware fault or it's something obscure that isn't fixed by a System Restore.  You could run the System File Checker ('sfc /scannow' run from a command window).  That rarely works but it did actually fix something for me a few weeks ago.
Failing that, make sure everything is backed-up and reset to factory state.    
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks RR,
I have got that in hand.
Referring to the current behaviour of both machines, in that they download www.plus.net, presumably from the list of alternative servers/web sites to connect to the site. These include "Firefox.dealply" and "snapfish.com", a google one and others (they pop up in the LHS indicator too fast to reel them off).  It would seem that the "old" site with much pictorial imagery, including the "happy chappie" and his halves of a serious lady, like it used to be; is still in their files and only a few have the new posh one. Is there any explanation for this? Win7 laptop displayed the new one when it went on line and occasionally the XP Dell found it. Now both seem to be firmly in the same camp. Any clues as to how to delete the unwanted ones?
Huh
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I have no idea what you mean.  I rarely visit www.plus.net and it looks pretty much the same as it always did to me.  If there is an alternate version it must have an alternate URL. 
colintivy
Rising Star

I have looked back at my original post of 11.01.13 "XP Pro and Win 7 display of PN Front page" which explored things to some degree, but did not really get anywhere further. Incidentally I did fire up your www.plus.net link and got exactly the same display as now. How do you get to the Forums etc., if you only rarely use that web address? I presume that you have your browser set to address it by default when you fire it up. There is not another URL to the best of my knowledge..
When the new layout was introduced around Christmas time  it appeared here without any changes on the laptop being made, the XP machine kept the old layout. I have said that both seem to keep working as far as accessing all the functions are concerned, so the cosmetic effect is not a stopper. I am using the same version of Firefox on both machines so that cannot be a source of the difference.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I have the forum http://community.plus.net/forum/ bookmarked.
I notice that the picture banner at the top of the www.plus.net page now rotates through several images, is that the difference you mean?   
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: colintivy
How do you get to the Forums etc., if you only rarely use that web address?

Like RR... I have it bookmarked/favourite.... but you can get to it from the page you are quoting, on the top right corner is the word "Community"... Click on that..... when the new page opens, in about the same place is the word  "Forums"... click on that.... then bookmark/favourite  it and bring it to the top of your bookmark/favourites list...  When you click on the bookmark/favourite  you will be presented with the "login" section....
colintivy
Rising Star

RR,
Yes the display does have a revolving banner which is OK but I preferred the new on which I did get when it was introduced when still using the proper URL. I reported the evident difference between the XP and the Win 7 operations using Firebug which showed that the former did have some Get lines which appeared to contain the rolling banner which were not on the Win 7 list.. I have not repeated this experiment to see if they now both have the same Get lines.
Shutter,
Yes, I understand that, but I regularly access PN by having the URL as my default opening when selecting Firefox as my browser. The fact that this has allowed me to see the "new" page without me doing anything different in the past on one machine and not the other.. Clearly the URL is displayed properly in the web page bar in both cases and the activity in the bottom LHS shows that it is "waiting for www.plus.net"; should produce the expected result once connection is achieved, but it now has reverted to the original state.
I commented on the new page in Feedback" at the time and had got used to its tidy and clear presentation using Win7, I would have liked to have it on both machines. I do not know how using the proper URL can have two possible displays and am somewhat surprised that the "old" one still works in every respect! This was never really explained in my earlier post referred to at the time. Perhaps someone can comment?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Colin, am I looking at the 'new' page or the 'old' page?  I cannot fathom from anything you have written what the difference is?  I have used a number of different machines using different versions of Windows and different browsers and the page always looks much the same to me.
colintivy
Rising Star

RR.
The "old" one is the banner with rolling images in full colour. The "new" one was introduced late last year which was commented upon in "Feedback" not long afterwards (I have not time to explore the actual date). This was on my Win 7 machine until the latest indigestion, hence my query. It was nice and plain, with largely useful text and all the links to the PN system. It was favorable received by several correspondents at the time. Perhaps you can have a look, SWMBO in demand!!
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: colintivy
"Firefox.dealply" and "snapfish.com"

Those are not on the Plusnet homepage, so must be due to something on your computer.
Presumably what you've been calling an old version of the page is actually a broken rendering of the current page. It must get broken by whatever is responsible for adding Firefox.dealply and snapfish.com to it.
colintivy
Rising Star

RR,
I have done some archeology and found the original post about this. It is Feedback dated 19.12.12 under PN Front page.
ejs,
I found these in the the XP using Firebug which printed out a list of Get commands and I see them when I am waiting for a connection to Plus.Net. The were not included in the Win 7 list. I accept that there could be some function in the XP machine which could be sorted if I knew how but cannot understand how Win 7 seems to have caught it!.
colintivy
Rising Star

An update to RR, I have dug out the original post on all this and bumped it up into Feedback for ease of access. A Mod may well link the two sets since there is some comonality between them.
The relevance of the quoted web sites is that XP is slow when reacting to a www.plus.net command with the result that if I am quick I can see them roll over on the screen slow enough to read them but not write them down. I assume that Firefox goes another source if there is any significant delay in getting the required data and may switch to alternatives before one does. In Win 7 it is so fast that I can just see the odd switch to another source but not what the name is. If this is not what actually happens please educate me.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro