Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win7 - could anyone explain this

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Win7 - could anyone explain this

After noticing my disk drive was being accessed a lot I check the task manager and found the memory usage was going up and down a lot but no main applications were being used.
I've attached a couple of screens shots.
It seems odd to me that the graph shows a lot of cpu useage but the processes table doesn't
Paul
6 REPLIES 6
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Win7 - could anyone explain this

Download Process Explorer and run that instead - tells you a lot more than Task Manager.  Wink
Vip3r
Grafter

Hi Paul,
You need to tick the "show processed from all users" box so that you can see what other users and the system are doing.
I'm not sure if its the same with Win7 but I do remember the first time I installed Vista it automatically sets a defrag to run in the background on a schedule.
paulgul
Rising Star

I've installed process explorer. It seems to be linked to the avg antivirus prog. a process called avgchsvr.exe (cache server) is using about 48% cpu, after a minute or so it goes to 'crash dumper' at that point the memory usage drops on the task manager before it starts to build again.
I don't have much time at the mo but I think I will un=install the avg and see what happens to the graphs
Edit: Just looked on the avg forums, seems I'm not the only one with this problem, its suppose to stop after a few minutes but doesn't - time for a different A/V program I think.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I find Avira works pretty well with Windows 7.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Also Avast and Microsoft's Security Essentials.
I'm currently using MSE on my W7x64 system.
paulgul
Rising Star

Thanks for the suggestion Bob, I'll give that a try. I've now removed avg and the problem has gone away with it